Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding Stabilizer...

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding Stabilizer...

Received my new K2006 kit a couple days ago. Discovered my SWG pool has 25-30 CYA.

It was recommended to me to raise that. So I bought some stabilizer in granular form.

Instructions on the bottle: Broadcast into the pool, expect your filter to have high pressure for a few days, don't backwash it. Okay- I get it, it goes to the filter and dissolves over a few days from there.

What I wasn't expecting: I spend 45 minutes brushing the granules around the bottom of the pool until they were pulled into the filter at the bottom of the deep end. The bottle made it sound as if most of them would dissolve, they didn't.

Is this normal?
    Inground/liner. 22000 Gallons -- STA-RITE SYSTEM 3 Filter - IntelliPro VS+ SVRS Pump -- MasterTemp 250 Heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding Stabilizer...

Quote Originally Posted by jaywdetroit
    Received my new K2006 kit a couple days ago. Discovered my SWG pool has 25-30 CYA.

It was recommended to me to raise that. So I bought some stabilizer in granular form.

Instructions on the bottle: Broadcast into the pool, expect your filter to have high pressure for a few days, don't backwash it. Okay- I get it, it goes to the filter and dissolves over a few days from there.

What I wasn't expecting: I spend 45 minutes brushing the granules around the bottom of the pool until they were pulled into the filter at the bottom of the deep end. The bottle made it sound as if most of them would dissolve, they didn't.

Is this normal?
    Yes, it's normal. That's why we recommend tying the granules in an old sock and hanging it in front of a return. It dissolves faster, and won't clog the filter. And if you need to backwash, you won't lose any of the granules.

Off to
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thee old sock trick.....gotta love it
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

4. Back To Top    #4

This is what I did today: I took a long piece of string and tied it around two old knee high socks and draped it across the diving board. Both socks are in the water dispersing the stabilizer.
    24k, vinyl, sand, IG with 1HP Hayward Super II
    3/4 booster for polaris 3900
    Proud owner TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Hang it in front of a return? or just hang it in the pool?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, my R0013 is one year old. Will it test accurately still? My CYA is hardly readable. Last year I was around 40 ( I think).
    KGK
    23K, IG Vinyl, Sand Filter, 1.25 HP

6. Back To Top    #6

Best to hang it in front of a return and let the flow help out. Hanging in the water will work, but it wont dissove as quickly. Squeeze the sock every now and then and it will go much quicker.

Your R0013 should be fine. Its the colored regents for TA and CH tests and are most subject to going bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by KGK View Post
    Hang it in front of a return? or just hang it in the pool?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, my R0013 is one year old. Will it test accurately still? My CYA is hardly readable. Last year I was around 40 ( I think).
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

You can hang the sock in front of a return, or set it in the skimmer as long as it doesn't block the flow and you leave the pump on the whole time. If you get flummoxed trying to figure out a way to suspend it, many people have tied it to a pool noodle or other floating toy and let that drift around.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

+1 on the sock method. I started out in the skimmer basket, then moved to the sock method infront of a return. Easier too to key an eye on.
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

9. Back To Top    #9

Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

I like the pink sock. .mine is plain old white
    12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

11. Back To Top    #11

mine too, scared to turn the water pink! LOL!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

I guess know one told them..white socks only

13. Back To Top    #13

Love my pink soccer socks for adding CYA! They're extra long, double layered. Bought them a few years back to wear in a 5K event or something and found a great use for them.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons