My Conversion is Going GREAT! (I think...)

edward.foote

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
I think I may have a record-timing conversion (though still ongoing). This site was invaluable. I thought I’d share my experience with you. I took pictures but can't seem to upload them. The file size is correct. I'll give it another try after I get this posted.

History: I decided last season to quit SoftSwim. Only had my pool for four years and always had issues (cloudiness, slime). Opened the pool in May with a “B” level of about 30. I simply stopped adding things. When the B was down to 20, I started adding weekly algicide. I also put in weekly clarifier (NOT the SoftSwim "C"). Not sure if it made a difference but the pool looked pretty good!

Fast forward to July 1. “B” was at 9. I was in a bit of a quandary with it getting so low and the 4th of July coming up. I just held tight, had the party (with a bit of algecide added). By the end of the day, the pool looked "worn".

July 5th I'm ready to roll (day off, etc), got the bleach, read the conversion, etc. Did my chemical test this morning with the K-2006. Used the Jason’s pool calculator of course! Baseline readings were….
FC - neg
TC - neg
pH - 7.8
TA - 170 ppm
CH - neg
CA - neg
"B" – unknown but < 9 (reading from pool store couple days ago).

I basically checked every 1-2 hours. I didn’t write it here each time but of course I loaded back up to FC of 15 after each measurement.
DAY 1
9 AM – Started. Added 290 oz of 6% bleach. Turned bluish green.
10 AM. FC 1.6 ppm. Added 280 oz bleach
10:40 AM FC 1.8 Added 280 oz bleach
11:45 FC 1.8 Added 270 oz bleach. Also added 1 lb of pH Down (sodium bisulfate). Due to the baseline pH of 7.8. Color pretty much same.
12:45 FC = 2 Combined Chlorine=5.5 pH=7.0 TA=170. Added bleach.
(Went to lunch, bought more bleach)
2:15 pm FC 4.8 (looked awful. I was sick about it because I realized/thought that our pool was going to be out of commission for 1-2 weeks. It is HOT!)
3:15 pm FC 5.0 (I have a two speed pump, had it on "low" all day. I vacuumed to waste and then left it on "high".
4:15 pm FC 6.0
5:45 pm FC 10.5
7:30 pm FC 11.5
10 pm FC 9.5 CC=4.0
Day 2
6 AM FC=8.0. Went around pool and brushed sides/bottom. Could just start to see the brush at the bottom of the pool. Didn’t really think much of it.
7:30 AM FC = 15. Did not add chlorine. Went to work.
12 Noon. Called from work. Had daughter add 1.5 gallons of bleach blindly.
4 PM. Got home from work. Holy Crud! The pool is clear! FC=0.5. Thought when I shocked to 15 again it would turn colors but it didn’t!
8 PM FC=12 CC1=1.5. Added bleach to get to 15 again. Guess I might as well do a OCLT!

Will let you know how it goes tomorrow. It is going to be HOT. I'm thinking I might be able to let the kids get in the pool (?). I'm enjoying doing all the tests myself. Empowerment!

Finally got pics to upload. Don't know what my problem was. A couple other observations....
- The pressure in my filter never really moved. When I back-washed there was Crud in the view glass but not much more than typical.
- I'm sure the fact my "B" was quite low helped. But your advice to be really agressive with the bleach really paid off.

I'll do a full test in the A.M.

Attachments

• Pool After july 6th at 4 pm.jpg
    Pool After july 6th at 4 pm.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 217
  • Pool After.jpg
    Pool After.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 216
  • Pool Before.jpg
    Pool Before.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 216
This morning (Day 3 of conversion) - Pool is clear and beautiful!
6:30 AM FC=10 CC=2
10AM FC=7.5 CC=1 pH=7.0 TA=160. Treatment table suggests I add 2 lb of sodium carbonate to raise pH.

I can add the sodium bicarbonate. My question is can I let the kids swim? It is SO hot.

edward.foote said:
This morning (Day 3 of conversion) - Pool is clear and beautiful!
6:30 AM FC=10 CC=2
10AM FC=7.5 CC=1 pH=7.0 TA=160. Treatment table suggests I add 2 lb of sodium carbonate to raise pH.

I can add the sodium bicarbonate. My question is can I let the kids swim? It is SO hot.
Don't add anything for the pH. Your TA is high enough that some vigorous aeration will take care of the pH.

What's the CYA level? That determines if you're at shock level or not. If you're below shock level for your CYA level, let 'em in!

Question about pH and TA

Hi,
I am in the process of converting from SoftSwim/baqua. I have a post going there but I am confused with my chemistry tests and thought there might be more traffic here.

Quick story. I'm in day 3 of conversion from baqua to chlorine. Went great (started off with pretty low "B"). Water is beautiful.

Last night at 9 PM FC=14
6:30 AM FC 10 CC=2
10 AM FC=7.5 CC=1 pH=7.0 TA=160 CH-neg (from Day 1), CA-neg (from Day 1).

I understand the process of the FC and CC and the conversion bit. I'll shock again tonight. What I'm more unsure of is what I should do about the pH and the TA. If I add acid to lower my TA, then the pH will be driven down, right? If I add sodium carbonate to raise the pH, won't the TA even higher?

Thanks for any advice!

Re: Question about pH and TA

Don't wait until tonight to add more chlorine. The process should be continuous, more-or-less.

The rest of the stuff is easy to fix once all the baquagoo is gone. Why add chemicals you'll lose when you clean out the filter at the end?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OCLT:
Last evening after shocking FC=16 CC=1.0
5:30 AM. FC=14.5 CC=1.5 (did not shock)

12 Noon. TC=5 CC=1.0

Getting there! Will continue to shock after sun away from pool. Water looking great. Will get sand and CYA ready.

Things continue to go good. Water is looking great.

Most recent at 5 pm today. (shocked last night, didn't do a OCLT because I was out of reagent).

FC=2
CC=0.4
pH=7.2
TA=170
CH=160
CA=negative.

I'll do an OCLT tonight. I guess if I pass that, the CC stays <0.5 and the water is still beautiful... I'm ready to change sand. Right?

I'm so glad I made the conversion. The last couple days I've only shocked 2 times (work) so I think I slowed the process down a bit. Otherwise, it was a snap! Thanks for the advice.

OCLT : Last evening FC=14, 6 AM this morning FC=13, CC=<0.5

12:30 pm. FC=4.5 and CC=zero! Water looks great.

I have to leave town for a few days so will change the sand when I get back.

Will stop posting now. The advice here has been great! :party:

Attachments

• 2012-07-13_12-48-06_755.jpg
    2012-07-13_12-48-06_755.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 88
Okay, so now I'm confused.

3 pm today tested the FC and CC again. I have a chlorine tab dispenser and thought I should start it. The results came back FC=2 and CC=1.5. We were in the pool for a bit between this morning's CC and and the 3 pm reading.

I understand the FC will drop a little during the day (there is no stablizer). But what's with the CC? This is higher than it's been in a few days. do I need to shock again or does CC go up (and then down) with swimming?

Thanks for any advice.

It took a while for my CC to stay down long term as well. I think the chlorine was still battling residual gunk.
Have you cleaned your filter? I had not cleaned mine. I was delaying that till spring since the swim season was over anyhow for me.

Rick

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.