Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My Conversion is Going GREAT! (I think...)

1. Back To Top    #1

My Conversion is Going GREAT! (I think...)

I think I may have a record-timing conversion (though still ongoing). This site was invaluable. I thought I’d share my experience with you. I took pictures but can't seem to upload them. The file size is correct. I'll give it another try after I get this posted.

History: I decided last season to quit SoftSwim. Only had my pool for four years and always had issues (cloudiness, slime). Opened the pool in May with a “B” level of about 30. I simply stopped adding things. When the B was down to 20, I started adding weekly algicide. I also put in weekly clarifier (NOT the SoftSwim "C"). Not sure if it made a difference but the pool looked pretty good!

Fast forward to July 1. “B” was at 9. I was in a bit of a quandary with it getting so low and the 4th of July coming up. I just held tight, had the party (with a bit of algecide added). By the end of the day, the pool looked "worn".

July 5th I'm ready to roll (day off, etc), got the bleach, read the conversion, etc. Did my chemical test this morning with the K-2006. Used the Jason’s pool calculator of course! Baseline readings were….
    FC - neg
    TC - neg
    pH - 7.8
    TA - 170 ppm
    CH - neg
    CA - neg
    "B" – unknown but < 9 (reading from pool store couple days ago).

I basically checked every 1-2 hours. I didn’t write it here each time but of course I loaded back up to FC of 15 after each measurement.
    DAY 1
    9 AM – Started. Added 290 oz of 6% bleach. Turned bluish green.
    10 AM. FC 1.6 ppm. Added 280 oz bleach
    10:40 AM FC 1.8 Added 280 oz bleach
    11:45 FC 1.8 Added 270 oz bleach. Also added 1 lb of pH Down (sodium bisulfate). Due to the baseline pH of 7.8. Color pretty much same.
    12:45 FC = 2 Combined Chlorine=5.5 pH=7.0 TA=170. Added bleach.
    (Went to lunch, bought more bleach)
    2:15 pm FC 4.8 (looked awful. I was sick about it because I realized/thought that our pool was going to be out of commission for 1-2 weeks. It is HOT!)
    3:15 pm FC 5.0 (I have a two speed pump, had it on "low" all day. I vacuumed to waste and then left it on "high".
    4:15 pm FC 6.0
    5:45 pm FC 10.5
    7:30 pm FC 11.5
    10 pm FC 9.5 CC=4.0
    Day 2
    6 AM FC=8.0. Went around pool and brushed sides/bottom. Could just start to see the brush at the bottom of the pool. Didn’t really think much of it.
    7:30 AM FC = 15. Did not add chlorine. Went to work.
    12 Noon. Called from work. Had daughter add 1.5 gallons of bleach blindly.
    4 PM. Got home from work. Holy ****! The pool is clear! FC=0.5. Thought when I shocked to 15 again it would turn colors but it didn’t!
    8 PM FC=12 CC1=1.5. Added bleach to get to 15 again. Guess I might as well do a OCLT!

Will let you know how it goes tomorrow. It is going to be HOT. I'm thinking I might be able to let the kids get in the pool (?). I'm enjoying doing all the tests myself. Empowerment!
    Northeast PA.
    10,500 gallon AGP Vinyl.
    Sand filter.
    Installed 2007.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My Conversion is Going GREAT! (I think...)

Finally got pics to upload. Don't know what my problem was. A couple other observations....
    - The pressure in my filter never really moved. When I back-washed there was **** in the view glass but not much more than typical.
    - I'm sure the fact my "B" was quite low helped. But your advice to be really agressive with the bleach really paid off.

I'll do a full test in the A.M.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Northeast PA.
    10,500 gallon AGP Vinyl.
    Sand filter.
    Installed 2007.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Nice!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4

This morning (Day 3 of conversion) - Pool is clear and beautiful!
    6:30 AM FC=10 CC=2
    10AM FC=7.5 CC=1 pH=7.0 TA=160. Treatment table suggests I add 2 lb of sodium carbonate to raise pH.

I can add the sodium bicarbonate. My question is can I let the kids swim? It is SO hot.
    Northeast PA.
    10,500 gallon AGP Vinyl.
    Sand filter.
    Installed 2007.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by edward.foote
    This morning (Day 3 of conversion) - Pool is clear and beautiful!
    6:30 AM FC=10 CC=2
    10AM FC=7.5 CC=1 pH=7.0 TA=160. Treatment table suggests I add 2 lb of sodium carbonate to raise pH.

I can add the sodium bicarbonate. My question is can I let the kids swim? It is SO hot.
    Don't add anything for the pH. Your TA is high enough that some vigorous aeration will take care of the pH.

What's the CYA level? That determines if you're at shock level or not. If you're below shock level for your CYA level, let 'em in!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Question about pH and TA

Hi,
    I am in the process of converting from SoftSwim/baqua. I have a post going there but I am confused with my chemistry tests and thought there might be more traffic here.

Quick story. I'm in day 3 of conversion from baqua to chlorine. Went great (started off with pretty low "B"). Water is beautiful.

Last night at 9 PM FC=14
    6:30 AM FC 10 CC=2
    10 AM FC=7.5 CC=1 pH=7.0 TA=160 CH-neg (from Day 1), CA-neg (from Day 1).

I understand the process of the FC and CC and the conversion bit. I'll shock again tonight. What I'm more unsure of is what I should do about the pH and the TA. If I add acid to lower my TA, then the pH will be driven down, right? If I add sodium carbonate to raise the pH, won't the TA even higher?

Thanks for any advice!
    Northeast PA.
    10,500 gallon AGP Vinyl.
    Sand filter.
    Installed 2007.

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: Question about pH and TA

The most important question... can I let the kids swim in the pool?
    Northeast PA.
    10,500 gallon AGP Vinyl.
    Sand filter.
    Installed 2007.

8. Back To Top    #8

Don't wait until tonight to add more chlorine. The process should be continuous, more-or-less.

The rest of the stuff is easy to fix once all the baquagoo is gone. Why add chemicals you'll lose when you clean out the filter at the end?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

edward.foote,

Please keep your posts in one thread until you have completed your conversion.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by edward.foote
    The most important question... can I let the kids swim in the pool?
    No swimming during the conversion!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Sorry about starting a new thread. (At first I though I posted it wrong). Thanks for the advice.
    Northeast PA.
    10,500 gallon AGP Vinyl.
    Sand filter.
    Installed 2007.

12. Back To Top    #12

11:30 AM. FC=4.5 CC=2.0 Water still looks great. Shocked to 15. Will take kids to movies to keep em' cool.
    Northeast PA.
    10,500 gallon AGP Vinyl.
    Sand filter.
    Installed 2007.

13. Back To Top    #13

OCLT:
    Last evening after shocking FC=16 CC=1.0
    5:30 AM. FC=14.5 CC=1.5 (did not shock)

12 Noon. TC=5 CC=1.0

Getting there! Will continue to shock after sun away from pool. Water looking great. Will get sand and CYA ready.
    Northeast PA.
    10,500 gallon AGP Vinyl.
    Sand filter.
    Installed 2007.

14. Back To Top    #14

Things continue to go good. Water is looking great.

Most recent at 5 pm today. (shocked last night, didn't do a OCLT because I was out of reagent).

FC=2
    CC=0.4
    pH=7.2
    TA=170
    CH=160
    CA=negative.

I'll do an OCLT tonight. I guess if I pass that, the CC stays <0.5 and the water is still beautiful... I'm ready to change sand. Right?

I'm so glad I made the conversion. The last couple days I've only shocked 2 times (work) so I think I slowed the process down a bit. Otherwise, it was a snap! Thanks for the advice.
    Northeast PA.
    10,500 gallon AGP Vinyl.
    Sand filter.
    Installed 2007.

15. Back To Top    #15

OCLT : Last evening FC=14, 6 AM this morning FC=13, CC=<0.5

12:30 pm. FC=4.5 and CC=zero! Water looks great.

I have to leave town for a few days so will change the sand when I get back.

Will stop posting now. The advice here has been great!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Northeast PA.
    10,500 gallon AGP Vinyl.
    Sand filter.
    Installed 2007.

16. Back To Top    #16

Okay, so now I'm confused.

3 pm today tested the FC and CC again. I have a chlorine tab dispenser and thought I should start it. The results came back FC=2 and CC=1.5. We were in the pool for a bit between this morning's CC and and the 3 pm reading.

I understand the FC will drop a little during the day (there is no stablizer). But what's with the CC? This is higher than it's been in a few days. do I need to shock again or does CC go up (and then down) with swimming?

Thanks for any advice.
    Northeast PA.
    10,500 gallon AGP Vinyl.
    Sand filter.
    Installed 2007.

17. Back To Top    #17

It took a while for my CC to stay down long term as well. I think the chlorine was still battling residual gunk.
    Have you cleaned your filter? I had not cleaned mine. I was delaying that till spring since the swim season was over anyhow for me.

Rick
    24' Round AG Vinyl Pool (13,500 Gallons)
    Sand Filter, Aquabug Vacuum
    Pump Size: ?? Flow Rate:??
    Shifted from Baquacil to Chlorine 8/2011