Intex metal frame pool rusting t joints, legs. Need advice.

Re: Intex metal frame pool rusting t joints, legs. Need advi

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I greatly appreciate it. The PVC pipe looks like it would work pretty well. The only thing is that in order to fix it over the rusted part would be to drain the pool to do it cause with the water in it, it's too heavy to lift up. We would have to lift up the post to attach them together. I would probably need to cover all of them with pvc pipes. Would this also keep them from rusting even more?

Thinking about it, the hole clamps might would work so we wouldn't have to drain it. I might give it a shot and try it and it would work until the end of the summer. We are gonna get a new pool next summer and my neighbor suggested before attaching the parts to grease them down with axl grease to keep the water out where it cant dry and to use some rust resistant paint like rustoleum, but I think I will try that Rust bullet stuff cause it's tough stuff I heard. He told me that I should suggest selling this pool on Craiglist cause someone might would wanna buy it and fix it up themselves. I am sure that it could be fixed but I would like a bigger pool lol. So, gonna try to sell this one next year cause the liner is just fine. But I'm seriously thinking about trying the hole clamps and when we take the pool down, I can try the pvc pipe.

I'd only do the bad ones for now and monitor the rest. Any that you would have to drain water for I would go with the cut in half way to get you by. The longer and thicker the PVC piece the stronger it will be. As for rust, it will not stop that. Only treating them with something that seals it will help. Most rust sealers recommend removing the rust scale first. You could do the clamp route over the cut PVC halves just use enough clamps to make it strong and rigid.

We just came up with a good solution and fixed our pool and made it WAY Sturdier than it ever was! The original horizontal poles that intex provides are a cheap thin wall metal and the t-joints are much bigger size pipe than the horizontal poles or the vertical poles creating a very loose joint between the different poles.

This loose joint is creating a metal on metal grinding action anytime anyone is in the pool and the water moves the walls/poles, thus scraping the paint off and leaving it susceptible to rust. I have created a solution to solve this issue by replacing the original horizontal poles and sleeving them inside the t-joints. If you would like to see more check it out here and contact me if you want.

http://interbiznw.com/2017/07/31/intex-pool-repair/

Update, this year we had issues with the vertical legs rusting at the bottom, we replaced with galvanized poles and modified the t brackets by cutting off the bottom half (sleeve for leg to go into) and welding new pipe to it that would accept larger leg. We then re powder coated the t brackets white ( Note: STILL need to buy new top rail clips that go through the t brackets as some have broken and all the "white" rubber grommets are no longer white.

Also 3d printed new sleeves this year for the top horizontal poles, the old ones were printed out of white PLA that started cracking but still held in place, the new ones were printed out of black PETG for better UV resistance.

More details can be found at our original post: Intex Pool Horizontal Pole Repair

4032-2268-max (3).jpg4032-2268-max (4).jpg

1024-1820.jpg

4032-2268-max.jpg

4032-2268-max (1).jpg

Good fix but it's a disgrace that a company sells such a shoddy and not-fit-for-purpose product!
Indeed it is a disgrace, but that is what the consumer market is, full of "Disposable" things so they can have you buy another one at some point.

On another note, our poles and modified t-joints are holding up great! Anyone wants the sleeves we can make them Intex Pool Horizontal Pole Repair

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.