Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is Correct CYA Level for Phoenix, AZ Pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is Correct CYA Level for Phoenix, AZ Pool?

New member.

I have a 25K gallon in-ground plaster pool, in Phoenix, AZ. CYA is over 150+ per Leslie's. I have ordered a test kit and extra reagents. I will pump out 40%-50% of pool volume to lower CYA. Since I am in Phoenix, will full-on sun until at least 2pm or so each day, I am thinking a CYA level of 60ppm will be good. Of course, it goes without saying that I'm dumping the Tri-Chlor pucks and shock, and going all BBB as soon as the test kit arrives.

Any advice?
    29,000 gallon concrete/plaster diving pool, 9-1/2 feet deep X 40 feet long. 1.5HP skimmer motor. 1.0HP booster motor for pressure side cleaning robot - Polaris 280. Sand filter. Two built in aerators.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is Correct CYA Level for Phoenix, AZ Pool?

60 sounds good. Is the pool green or cloudy now? That would change my answer.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I am in VA but get full sun all day and keep my CYA at 55.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for replies. Pool is just coming off maintenance from a pool company and water is clear and doesn't really smell noticably. I am going to BBB because I have been paying $150 - $200 per month in chemicals.
    29,000 gallon concrete/plaster diving pool, 9-1/2 feet deep X 40 feet long. 1.5HP skimmer motor. 1.0HP booster motor for pressure side cleaning robot - Polaris 280. Sand filter. Two built in aerators.

5. Back To Top    #5

WOW 200 dollars a month, my pool is about 1/4 your size I am so lucky it costs me roughly 50 cents a day for bleach.to maintain my pool.....WOW I am so blessed because of this site and the bbb method ...once again thanks tfp.
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all

6. Back To Top    #6

wow you were paying that much for a company to just do chemicals? Or was that for full service cleaning as well.

Down here it is just $40/month for chemical service from a few companies.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I pay $80 for "service" plus chemicals, which have been ratcheting up (no doubt due to ultra high CYA caused by pucks) and last month the chemicals were $160...

Thus, $160, plus $80 service, plus tax, puts me at about $260 a month...

8. Back To Top    #8

AZ
    start the BBB method you will save a ton of money and get the gratification of knowing your pool on a intimate level.....it is wonderful.....wow i think i need a cig.....lol
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm

9. Back To Top    #9

Yeah, today I checked out prices (in Phoenix) for:

- Bleach (Costco has THREE 180 oz bottles of 6% for less than $10 ($3.33 per bottle).
    - Baking Soda (Costco has THIRTEEN pound bags for less than $7).
    - Borax (Target has 76 oz boxes for less than $3.50).
    - Muriatic Acid (Ace Hardware has one gallon bottles of 31.5% for $9).

I figure my TOTAL per month cost will be less than $40 once I get totally off the pucks and onto BBB with borate stabilizer. My total average monthly savings will be somewhere near $125 or about $1,500 per year.

SWEET.

Make that TWO cigarettes, plus some good bourbon or brandy or maybe even champagne. LOL.

10. Back To Top    #10

if you have a menards or a rural king store around you they are real cheap on the stuff you need buddy....good luck and keep up posted

11. Back To Top    #11

now your talking......lol.........hmmmm Brandy