Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding a light in a DIY pool--Problem!

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding a light in a DIY pool--Problem!

We went to a pool store yesterday and were looking at some pool lights. We were really interested in the Intellibright LEDs that change colors/patterns. But the sales guy said that he wasn't sure if they would work with a steel walled pool b/c: Apparently in gunite pools they make a special cove in the gunite for the light so that the water can sit behind the light and keep it cool(there is no waterproof seal on the light). how do I overcome this with my vinyl DIY pool? Do I have to build something for the light to sit in so that water can get behind it without leaking behind the pool?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Adding a light in a DIY pool--Problem!

Is the pool already installed, or are you building it now? If the pool isn't installed yet, or you can dig out the far side of the wall so you have full access from both sides you can install a light that requires a niche. But if you can only access the wall from the water side it is nearly impossible to install a light of that style.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Adding a light in a DIY pool--Problem!

They make niches for vinyl. Check out pages 119 & 121 in this PDF: ... US2012.pdf

Assuming, of course, that you can get to both sides as Jason says. We love the lights in our pool:

24,000 gallon in-ground plaster, Pentair FNSP60 60 sq. ft. DE filter @ 9,000 GPH, 2HP WhisperFlo pump, CircuPool RJ45 SWG, 399k BTU Raypak heater, built 2008. Taylor K2006C kit.