Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Casket Bench/Lounge

1. Back To Top    #1

Casket Bench/Lounge

A little history first. A few years ago I bought a '72 Cadillac Hearse. It came with a casket. The casket was a "scratch-n-dent" and was missing one of the lids. Last year I sold the hearse but kept the casket. Well, now we have a pool and my wife was having trouble finding a chair that lays completely flat for sunbathing that was affordable. I had the idea of building a solid lid for the casket. Now, I'm no carpenter so it isn't perfect. It's also not finished. Any suggestions on a paint, stain, covering for the top? Obviously black will get too hot

14x28 13,200 gal IG Vinyl
    Pentair SD60 60gpm
    Pentair SuperFlo 3/4hp
    2 Aqua Genie Skimmers
    TF100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Casket Bench/Lounge

Just when you thought you have seen everything....
    It is cool, but my wife would never go for that.
    Probably will a deck type stain to hold up to the elements...
    20'x40' / 30,000 Gal / In Ground / Vinyl
    Pentair FNS 48 DE Filter / Pentair Challenger 1.5 HP Pump
    Jandy Lite2 400k BTU Propane Heater / Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    TF-100 Test Kit / BBB
    Creator of SimplePool (BBB Friendly Android App) http://www.simplepool.net

3. Back To Top    #3

lol ... yeah, not sure I could get away with that either.

Are you going to have a pad to lay on? If so I would try to match the casket color.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Flowers? It might go with a theme. Get a Halloween skeleton to put off nosy guests. Black might get too hot.

A marine grade poly will seal it, so about any stain will work.

Where would one find a "scratch 'n dent" casket? I can see a lot of entertainment value,
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber

5. Back To Top    #5

Casket Bench/Lounge

I just bought some outdoor minwax that has stain and polyurethane in it. I am using it for one of my outdoor projects. As far as how long it will hold up, I can not speak to that yet but it looks good. They have a variety of colors to choose from.

18x36 Grecian Vinyl; 8' Roman steps w/t 2 spa jets; cozy cove w/t 6 spa jets; 2 MD, 1 Skimmer, 3 returns; Hayward Ecostar, 30" Ranger sand filter; Hayward color logic 4.0 LED light; Hayward aqua logic; 2" PVC pipe 4 Jandy Valves

6. Back To Top    #6

If only Halloween was in August.......................Love It!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

Wow, that should be the life of the party!
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

8. Back To Top    #8

Friggin Awesome. Craigslist here I come, looking for a 'used casket'
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

9. Back To Top    #9

^ How used are you looking for ? With or without the cadaver ? Sorry had to laugh !
    29,700 Gallon Vinyl Roman End, Sta-Rite Max-Therm-400HD gas heater, Sta-Rite S7M120 cartridge filter, Pool Pilot DIG-220 SWG

10. Back To Top    #10

That's planning ahead! How about putting a pad inside so you can just lay in it instead of on it. I think that's the manufacturer's intent!
    Ken & Shari
    Savannah, GA
    16' x 40' freeform fiberglass inground (Pacific model, mfg by Tallman Pools), 23k gal, 2" plumbing throughout, Intellichlor IC-40, Easy Touch controller, Intelliflow VS 3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Quad Cartridge filter. 4 Jandy deck jets (3/4" plumbing), Fiberstars color changing lighting, SR Smith salt friendly diving system, Interfab Wild Ride slide, Aquasol Solar Heat (5 panels 4'x12' DIY install automated with ET) RIP Nitro Wall Climber Mar 2011-Aug 2012, Nitro is survived by a Polaris 360.