Cloudy water issues

Jul 22, 2011
Currently the pool looks like skim milk. After searching and reading, it appears I need a good shock. I guess I misunderstood the shocking process from the get go and just bought a bag of shock and thought that would do it... LOL... that's what i get for listening to Leslies...

Here are my current numbers as of yesterday late afternoon

FC: 0
CC: 0
TA: 100-110
CYA: 30 but put about 2lbs in a sock last night
Salt: 2800

I had a big party on the 4th so I kinda saw this coming...

My questions are:

Should I take the CYA sock out and shock from whatever level it is (only problem i see is i have a swg and it appears that the lowest level on the chart is 60)?
While shocking is it ok to swim while the FC is that high??
Should I dump shock/bleach in while pump is running and then test an hour later? (adding more if necessary)
Should I do this all at night?
Do I let the pump run all night?

DigiManTX said:
Currently the pool looks like skim milk. After searching and reading, it appears I need a good shock. I guess I misunderstood the shocking process from the get go and just bought a bag of shock and thought that would do it... LOL... that's what i get for listening to Leslies...

Here are my current numbers as of yesterday late afternoon

FC: 0
CC: 0
TA: 100-110
CYA: 30 but put about 2lbs in a sock last night
Salt: 2800

I had a big party on the 4th so I kinda saw this coming...

My questions are:

Should I take the CYA sock out and shock from whatever level it is (only problem i see is i have a swg and it appears that the lowest level on the chart is 60)? I would.
While shocking is it ok to swim while the FC is that high?? Yes, in theory. The chlorine may bleach your suit. I wouldn't, just because you could get infections from various bacteria that may be in the water.
Should I dump shock/bleach in while pump is running and then test an hour later? (adding more if necessary) That is the shock process in a nutshell
Should I do this all at night? Yes, and possibly for days more
Do I let the pump run all night?Yes.
pool-school/shocking_your_pool

You can remove CYA sock for the shocking process
Yes, you can swim at shock levels
Use pool calculator to determine required does of bleach to reach shock level. Then re-test several times per day and re-adjust FC
Yes, pour bleach in while pump is running
You should let pump run 24/7 during shocking process
Make sure your SWG is OFF when you preform the OCLT

Richard320 said:
DigiManTX said:
ok, so seems like i remove the sock... so seeing as the chart starts at cya level of 60 to bring FC to 24, what do i need to bring the FC to if my cya is at 30-40?
Use the non-SWG chart, because you're switching to bleach for this process. Aim for 16.

hmmm... but my water is still salt. does that not matter? i just assumed use bleach as it said it was better to use a liquid chlorine. would i be better off buying the bags of shock then?

DigiManTX said:
hmmm... but my water is still salt. does that not matter? i just assumed use bleach as it said it was better to use a liquid chlorine. would i be better off buying the bags of shock then?
Salt doesn't matter. Use bleach - the bags of "shock" will add either Calcium or more CYA, which will lead to more problems down the road.

Richard320 said:
Salt doesn't matter. Use bleach - the bags of "shock" will add either Calcium or more CYA, which will lead to more problems down the road.

awesome! thank you! I'm planning on this tonight, so i'll post my results and hopefully a clear pool is in my future. I have been add "floc" thinking that would do it, but it just seemed to make it worse... LOL

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't forget the job of flocl is to "cloud" the pool by combining/lumping debris into larger pieces of debris. The larger pieces may then be vacuumed out. In most cases, the flocced debris will sink to the bottom this requires turning off you pump. Adding chlorine to shock your pool requires you run the pump. You cannot do both shock and flock at the sometime. Turning off your pump when you need to shock is inviting a huge algae bloom ...a big green, cloudy bloom.

I, personally, would continue shocking and react to the water as it changes. This is why we recommend the test kits. If you know what is going on inside the pool's water, you can make informed decisions, not guesstimates.

Got the FC up to 15-16 last night before bed. Woke up this morning and down to:

FC: 4
CC: 2.5
a tad clearer, but not much... i can at least see that there IS a bottom now... LOL
completely brushed the pool

Am I supposed to keep this process going throughout the day (adding bleach / checking every hour) or should I wait til the sun goes down?

during the shock process you need to test your water about every hour and add bleach to maintain shock level all throughout the day and night, it takes some time to complete but it is well worth it in the end, it will seem like a full time job but test,add bleach,test ,add bleach repeat

Did a lot of work yesterday and made a lot of progress as far as clarity goes, but still jacked

Last night before bed:

FC: 13
CC: 2.5

This morning water is pretty clear (just dull... missing that "season start" crispness) BUT...

FC: 2.5
CC: 1.5

GRRRR... guess I know what I'm doing again today... :hammer:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.