Cloudy water issues

linen said:
Hey DigiManTx, could you put your pool and equipment specs in your sig? It help us help you...and I don'tsee your pool volume anywhere.

What is your cya level now?

Done...

CYA was at 40 when I started shocking...

As of last night:

FC: 18
CC: 1.5

This morning:

FC: 9.5

Man... I don't know what I'm doing wrong... only thing I can think of is allowing the kids to swim during the day, but it's almost impossible to keep them out of it... LOL

The water is finally crystal clear (very awesome!), BUT numbers still aren't maintaining:

Last night:

FC: 15

This morning:

FC: 5.5

Grrrrr... :grrrr:

Are your kids by any chance leaving some "liquid" in the pool? :shock: Oxidizing that "liquid" can really use up the chlorine...though your loss looks bigger than that. My understanding is Urea in particular can take hours to days to oxidize.

Keep shocking!

linen said:
Are your kids by any chance leaving some "liquid" in the pool? :shock: Oxidizing that "liquid" can really use up the chlorine...though your loss looks bigger than that. My understanding is Urea in particular can take hours to days to oxidize.

Keep shocking!

Normally I would say "more than likely" on this, IF they were younger... but they're teenage girls who get out every 15 mins (it seems) to go to the bathroom... so I doubt it... LOL

a shockin i will continue... :D

Bama Rambler said:
I'd raise the shock level a little more. And it's time to clean out anywhere that any algea could be hiding. Lights, ladders, any other projections in the pool.

yeah i did that yesterday... only place it could be "hiding" is behind the ladder... and i went back there with a brush and got all the nooks and crannies...

raise it to what? i've been trying to maintain it at 16 per previous recommendations and my cya level...

Seems like I'm not getting anywhere... :hammer:

managed to keep my girls out yesterday and i was only in there for maybe 30 mins to brush and clean all the nooks and crannies from behind the ladder again...

Last night before bed:

This morning:

FC: 12

Backflushed this morning after testing but before adding another round of bleach... My Pool Rover should be here today... hopefully that will clean the bottom of "seeable" organics.

All this has brought on yet another question... How do you prevent something like this after a big party/rain/etc? Do you spike the chlorine beforehand? That is the only thing that really makes sense to me... that way the chlorine is there to "take on" the organic/sun/rain load...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since your CC's are staying high I'd keep everybody out of the pool today and run the test again tonight and see if they get better.

What type ladder do you have? If it has hollow legs with drain holes, etc. I'd squirt some bleach in there and see if it's holding algae and that's what keeps your CC high.

The ladder is an "r" type ladder that mounts to the deck... not using the "A" frame ladder that came with it... it's not very "fat guy friendly" if u know what i mean... :D

it has little cubby holes all in the back of it that i made sure were completely cleaned out again yesterday... got in there with a brush and a wash cloth... and yes there was some algae in there...

looks exactly like this:

Main_Access-Easy_Incline-200200.jpg

Bama Rambler said:
Take the ladder out and squirt some bleach in every nook, cranny, and hole you cna find until you're absolutely sure it's clean. You'd be amazed how fast algae can grow in those hidey places.

Done... sitting upside down on my deck... sprayed out each cubby with the hose, then filled each one with water and bleach... leaving it there for the day... no ladder = no pool... that'll keep the kids out... :D

any thoughts on my other question above, about prevention?

DigiManTX said:
All this has brought on yet another question... How do you prevent something like this after a big party/rain/etc? Do you spike the chlorine beforehand? That is the only thing that really makes sense to me... that way the chlorine is there to "take on" the organic/sun/rain load...
That's exactly what to do. Raise the FC to al least the top recommended level just before the party and then again just after. That will take care of anything that may happen.

Another day... more of the same. I haven't even put the ladder back in yet. I got the PR Jr. in yesterday and let it do it's thing... There is not a single thing in this pool aside from the water and skimmer... the basket is clean, the basket attached to the pump is clean... now i'm getting frustrated... we did get some rain last night, but nothing major in the least... The water is sparking... Just... GRRRRRR :hammer: :grrrr:

Last night:

FC: 15

This morning

FC: 11

I found some more green stuff... on a hunch i started checking the seams... apparently where the sides meet the bottom there is a little overlap... lifted up the flap and green stuff all the way around... that had me put on goggles and check every little crevice i could find, took the brush and got it all... ran the PR Jr. again yesterday evening. Water is still crystal clear.

Last night:

FC: 22 <---- apparently got it a bit high... oops?

This morning

CC: 1.0 <---- progress

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.