Filter problem

G

How can I tell if my filter is actually filtering. The pool store says after all the shock and clairifyer that I've added that my PSI should be up, but it isn't really. They say that the filter probably isn't working. New sand this year, and it has been nice and blue for about a month this summer. HELLLLPPPP!!!!!

So if the dirt comes out of the returns that means the filter is NOT working properly????

Also, I took the top off of the sand filter and the gasgets all look okay to me...the dial is moving the way that it should...

In the last two weeks I've added about 60 oz of clairifyer, a whole bucket of shock, and I have been keeping tabs in the skimmer, and I have slow vaced to waste, the pool is still green. PSI staying steady between 8-13.

I just put the PSI gage on a few weeks ago....could that have caused problems??

kristiejow said:
So if the dirt comes out of the returns that means the filter is NOT working properly????

Also, I took the top off of the sand filter and the gasgets all look okay to me...the dial is moving the way that it should...

In the last two weeks I've added about 60 oz of clairifyer, a whole bucket of shock, and I have been keeping tabs in the skimmer, and I have slow vaced to waste, the pool is still green. PSI staying steady between 8-13.

I just put the PSI gage on a few weeks ago....could that have caused problems??
file.php

Now we have a clue!! You didn't say the pool was green.

You're probably filtering all right, but you're not really following the shock process, so you have algae growing as fast as you can strain it out.

Stop adding pucks and powders until you get a decent test kit and some readings. Spend some time (hours, possibly) in Pool School and in this thread.

I'm a full time nursing student and a full time Mom of two girls....I don't have a lot of extra time (or brain power) to learn everything I need to learn about pool maintenance. I just have to troubleshoot as issues come along......I've been having the pool place test my water, and they have been pretty accurate in telling me what I need. They are the ones that said the filter possibly isnt working correctly, but I don't have the money to get someone out here to look at it. So, I'm troubleshooting it myself.

I've read over the links and the pool place was telling me the same thing the site did as far as maintenance goes. Nothing I was doing was making the water change....at all. Still green, if not greener....after about 150 bucks worth of products.....grrr!!!

Where the pool store can't help is when there are equipment malfunctions....so I'm turning here for help....

Any Consolation, I go a month and my pressure goes up 2-3 lbs, I backwash for the heck of it to PO the neighbors (just kidding) and the backwash is dirty. I have added phosphate Crud, Poly 60, etc. I don't see a signifigant pressure rise. So since the pool is clear and sparkly I just routinely backwash once a month. My media is zeobrite (sand filter) with pea pebbles.

Thanks

Water is on the way to the store as we speak....I will post the numbers as soon as I have them. Thanks so much for the help!! This is driving me crazy....wait, crazierrrr.

When I got the water looking nice and pretty before, I did exactly what I did before this time but it didn't change the water at all. Early summer the clarifyer made all the gunk go to the bottom and I slow vaced it out. This time, the clarifyer made no change. That was the clue that the filter wasn't working. I don't know....I'll wait for replys after I post the numbers.

Pool Numbers
  • Idx -0.2
    TDS 500
    CYA 19
    Tot Chlorine 0.5
    Free Chlorine 0.5
    ph 7.3
    Total Alkalinity 69
    Adj Alkalinity 63
    Total Hardness 260

Any thoughts on what to do now???????????

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Richard320 said:
You're probably filtering all right, but you're not really following the shock process, so you have algae growing as fast as you can strain it out.

Stop adding pucks and powders until you get a decent test kit and some readings. Spend some time (hours, possibly) in Pool School and in this thread.

I have also taken some time today to read both of these. I'm just still not really sure where to begin......

If you believe those numbers, the next thing to do is add bleach. If. I find 19 CYA hard to swallow, if you've been dumping powdered shock in.

But if you believe them, then you need to add 3 gallons of 6% bleach. And check it again in an hour or so and replenish it to get FC up to 12ish. And keep doing that as often as you can until the water turns clear. It's going to take a lot of bleach and a lot of time. Check out this thread: first-time-shocking-with-bleach-t45074.html. Scroll down to the last post on page one.

Richard320 said:
If you believe those numbers, the next thing to do is add bleach. If. I find 19 CYA hard to swallow, if you've been dumping powdered shock in.

But if you believe them, then you need to add 3 gallons of 6% bleach. And check it again in an hour or so and replenish it to get FC up to 12ish. And keep doing that as often as you can until the water turns clear. It's going to take a lot of bleach and a lot of time. Check out this thread: first-time-shocking-with-bleach-t45074.html. Scroll down to the last post on page one.
I think the CYA is correct because I haven't put any shock in the pool in several days and it gets very hot in Bama. Do I leave the filter in "filter" mode while I add the bleach. If so for how long.

An added question....as long as the sand filter is set to "filter" mode, does it filter the whole time???

kristiejow said:
Richard320 said:

I think the CYA is correct because I haven't put any shock in the pool in several days and it gets very hot in Bama. Do I leave the filter in "filter" mode while I add the bleach. If so for how long.

An added question....as long as the sand filter is set to "filter" mode, does it filter the whole time???
The problem is that with dichlor shock, you add CYA with the chlorine. The chlorine goes away, the CYA doesn't. It just keeps building. Yes, you leave the pump running the whole time, possibly days. And if you're set to filter, you're filtering. If you're afraid it will clog, switch to Recirculate. It will still suck water in and push it out to keep the pool water mixed, but it doesn't go through the filter.

Do you have a container of the shock so you can tell us what's in it?

The reason the clarifier didn't work is that you have an active algae bloom and it doesn't work on that.

The answer to your problem is chlorine and performing the shock properly.

I started adding Bleach last night and this morning....I'm not up to good levels yet....but you can tell that it is working. About 99 more bottles of bleach and I think it'll clear right on up!! :tongue: I think the only thing wrong with my pump was that it needed to be backwashed. (I was relying on the PSI gauge to tell me when it needed it, and that probably wasn't the best idea.) The valve on the top of the sand pump that turns to different settings is possibly going bad also. But as of last night and today it is filtering fine, I just have to be sure that it is set correctly each time I change modes.

:?: :?: Question, should the pump be pullling water constantly when it is on filter?? At the skimmer, it sounds like it is pulling water, then refilling, kinda like a toilet almost. I'm not sure what it is supposed to sound like, so I just want a little clairification please. :-D

When the pump is running, look in the skimmer. If you see it making an obvious whirlpool, it is, probably, sucking air into the pump, and eventually putting air into the filter, seriously reducing its ability to filter, and contributing to your green pool problem. :hammer:

The solution is to add more water so that the skimmer vortex won't suck air.

Qwaxalot said:
When the pump is running, look in the skimmer. If you see it making an obvious whirlpool, it is, probably, sucking air into the pump, and eventually putting air into the filter, seriously reducing its ability to filter, and contributing to your green pool problem. :hammer:

The solution is to add more water so that the skimmer vortex won't suck air.
Thanks....water is running now.....

Surging can also be caused by a stuck closed weir door. That is the "flap" door that should float freely in the front of your skimmer. If it is stuck closed, or straight up and down, then that would cause surging. It should swing freely.

linen said:
Surging can also be caused by a stuck closed weir door. That is the "flap" door that should float freely in the front of your skimmer. If it is stuck closed, or straight up and down, then that would cause surging. It should swing freely.
Nope...it swinging free...the water was just low.....

:?: Will it help to add some pucks in the skimmer while I'm doing the bleach???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.