Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help identifying pump specs

1. Back To Top    #1

Help identifying pump specs

I have been researching for a possible lower energy replacement pump. The one I have was purchased as part of a package for our above ground pool. Its a 27' round AGP. The pump is a Hayward SP1520Z1EFTC, HP 2.0, SF SPL. What I would like to know is the service factor so I can see what BHP the pump really is. I have searched the www tirelessly and found nothing.

I called Hayward and was told what a replacement part no is and it is also a 2HP pump. He would not answer my question about what is the SF. I asked if this is a true 2HP he said it is a "special low head" pump so it probably has a small impeller. Reduced HP?

I then called AO Smith, they would not tell me the SF either and that their customer, Hayward, asked not to have the it printed on the label.

Does anybody have a clue what the actual HP of this pump is?

So I guess this is a marketing trick to sell lower HP pump as a 2 HP pump to uneducated pool buyers.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Help identifying pump specs

What are the FLA (full load amps) listed on the dataplate? That'll give you a clue.

SPL rating means double uprated. That usually means a SF of less than 1. I saw one once with a SF of .75.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

AMPS says 15.0, nothing that says FLA. I have attached a pic of the plate. Im guesing this is a SF of .75 giving it a THP of 1.5. Would like to confirm though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Back To Top    #4
    Pleasanton, CA

SPL is an indicator that the pump is double up rated which has a SF that is less than 1. So a 2 HP SPL is the equivalent of a 1.5 HP up rated pump which is also the equivalent of a 1 HP full rated pump although AG pumps rarely come in full rated versions. So even though the label say 2 HP, it is really operating more like a 1.5 HP AG pump. Add to that, AG pumps are smaller than similar IG pumps so I wouldn't get to wrapped up in label ratings.

Why the interest?
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

I would like to get a timer that is a little more robust than the one that comes with the pump. Nobody makes a timer where I can just plug the pump into it. Most plug in type timers have a max horse power rating of 1.5 max.