Main Drains need to be completely shut off- HOW? Thx.

May 1, 2012
NC USA
Hello,

Can anyone please tell me if there is a way to turn off my main drains entirely? I know I can switch the handle up by the pump to off but the main drains still have water that comes out of them into the pipes that are nearby. I need to fix a problem with the PVC pipes very close to the entry point in the pool wall-to the main drains. When I cut the pipe, even with the main drain thing switched by the pump- water flows at an incredible rate out and I can't fix the problem. I have it stopped currently but need to mend the PVC and need it dry. I hope this makes sense.

We tried using plastic over the drains, holding it there, holding bowls tight against the pool side and yet water still flows. Any suggestions?

Is there something made for covering the main drains from the inside of the pool for this problem? If I open up the somewhat sealed pipes on the outside again I will loose a TON of water. I've already lost about 12 inches of water!

Thank you!

Is this the same pool with the fence post in the PVC line? If so did you get that fixed? How?

Can you dive down, remove the cover(s) off the main drain, and then pug the drain with something?

I'm sure someone here can make a recommendation on WHAT to plug it with, they must make something like a drain king that doesn't squirt water through pipe. What do you see with cover off drain, just the end of a PVC pipe? The make plugs for them.

Hi! Yes-it is the same darn pool. ;-) This has been quite an experience. I'll have to update the other thread. There are not any more jacks on the fence posts and the pool is in the ground finally and backfilled. We are almost....("almost" is a word I hesitate to use) -there though! I THINK.

As for what I see- there are drain covers- four phillips screws and I have yet to try to remove them. I looked at old photos from the install and they appear to go directly to a 2" PVC after going through the drain fitting. I wasn't sure if there was something I could use here, I may just have to run to Lowes or someplace and buys some plugs. The little plugs I bought on my last trip are doubtful- I don't think they will hold the water or stay in place, they are super flimsy. We stuffed some trash bags in the pipe to slow the water flow and it helped a bit but won't hold the water entirely and the new fittings need to be dry to attach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.