Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Too Much Acid ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Too Much Acid ?

Hello Everyone,

Five days ago I added about 35 lbs of Boraxo and 2.1 gallons of acid to my pool. I ran the pump for 48 hrs. My readings are as follows:

ph 7.8
    fc 3
    ta 100
    ch 330
    cya 30
    borate 30 - 40 difficult for me to see the colors

I have been adding a quart of acid a day to keep my ph in check. This seems like a lot. I also add about 3 cups of chlorine. I run my pump from 8 am to 8 pm. I did my borate calculations on 12000 gallons. I am unsure of my kidney shaped pool capacity. Should I raise my cya level a little? And perhaps raise my borates a bit? Hopefully to cut down on acid.
    Many Thanks,
    Russ Stevenson
    10k in ground plaster
    Build date around 1980
    1.0 HP pump, Baker Hydropak Skimmer

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Too Much Acid ?

A quart a day isn't a lot compared to my pool. It takes me about 3 quarts a day when I'm adding as much water as I am this summer.

You need to drive your TA down a little by maintaining your pH down around 7.1 or so.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Sydney, Australia

Glad I found this, I am adding around 600ml a week to get my levels down and I was becoming slightly worried it was too much
    In-ground pebblecrete, 16000 gallon, sand filter, salt chlorinator

4. Back To Top    #4
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

My guess is that the TA was a lot higher and you're slowly driving it down. If you have a spa or a waterfall, anything that creates a lot of turbulence, it's going to drive pH up. The acid demand should start slowing. Now you see why it's recommended to adjust TA before adding borax. so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html

You'd be a good candidate to use trichlor tabs in a floater to bring the CYA up. It's very acidic, which will keep pH from climbing so fast. Just don't add too many and get CYA too high. Using the pool calculator, it looks like about ten pounds f tablets would get CYA to about 50. Someone want to check my math?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!