Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Iron and Metal testing

1. Back To Top    #1

Iron and Metal testing

Guys,
    How important is it to test for metals in the water? is it something only done if you are seeing problems or should you test no matter what at certain intervlals ? I see the previous owner did leave some bottles of remedies for problems but not sure if actually every used this stuff or why. I do use well water at times when needing to add so I imagine some metals must be in it.
    34000 Gallon Salt Water Pool, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Jandy Del60 Filter, Polaris 380 Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Iron and Metal testing

If you have never had any problems with metals, there really isn't any point in testing for them. Most people will never have any metals issues at all.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    If you have never had any problems with metals, there really isn't any point in testing for them. Most people will never have any metals issues at all.
    How would I know if I have a problem with metals, staining and such?
    34000 Gallon Salt Water Pool, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Jandy Del60 Filter, Polaris 380 Cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Either the water will turn a clear transparent yellow or green, or if stains appear on the walls/floor of the pool that are not organic stains or calcium scale.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Or if you have high iron like we do (4 ppm) your water will look brown. Not very appealing to swim in. We use natural chemistry metal out when we add fill water, and within hours the water turns back blue.

Too much copper turns hair green. Copper is NEVER welcome in my pool. We've had an incident with green hair and the only solution was cutting it.

So, while some people don't worry about metals, some of us do.
    24' Round Diamond Star, 54" wall height, 200sq ft sta-rite cartridge filter
    Dynamo 1hp 2 speed pump, 199k Rheem milivolt heater
    Pool rover jr. - our best friend!
    Tf-100 plus borate strips and Taylor k1000.