How much MA??

May 15, 2009
How much acid can I add until I look like Two Face from the Batman movie? Ph is consistently high. I know that this is a function of the SWG that runs constantly, but how much is too much? Everything I read is blast it until the Ph comes down to the target but my tests are usually in the 7.8+ range.

TrentonTom said:
How much acid can I add until I look like Two Face from the Batman movie? Ph is consistently high. I know that this is a function of the SWG that runs constantly, but how much is too much? Everything I read is blast it until the Ph comes down to the target but my tests are usually in the 7.8+ range.

Are you never seeing a 7.2 reading?

Make sure you are plugging your TA level into the pool calculator when figuring out how much MA to use. At a higher TA, it will require much more acid than the default 100. You should be able to test 30 minutes to an hour after your acid addition and verify that you have lowered your pH to 7.2. If it didn't lower it that much, your pH could have been higher than you though to start with, or you could be off on how many gallons your pool is. If needed, plug your NEW numbers back into the pool calculator and add more acid until you reach 7.2.

TrentonTom said:
Correct. TA is consistently high too. Another question concerning CYA. Is there a "generic" source for stabilizer or only the usual outlets? Any good sources?
I've seen it at Lowes in the pool section out in garden. And at the local Mom-n-Pop Ace Hardware. And word here is that Walmart has it cheap.

It's pretty specific to pools, unlike bleach or baking soda, so you won't find it under some other name in the grocery store. It will be called Stabilizer, or Conditioner, or Cyanuric Acid, or some gigantic chemical name with cyan in there somewhere. Read the label and look for the highest percentage, and especially no copper/cupro compounds in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.