Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much MA??

1. Back To Top    #1

How much MA??

How much acid can I add until I look like Two Face from the Batman movie? Ph is consistently high. I know that this is a function of the SWG that runs constantly, but how much is too much? Everything I read is blast it until the Ph comes down to the target but my tests are usually in the 7.8+ range.
    Trenton, IL (St. Louis Area)
    TF-100 test kit, 18,000 gallon, 18x33 oval Johnny Weismuller, AG, Jacuzzi Lazer sand filter, AquaTrol SWG, 1.5 HP Pentair pump that runs constantly.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much MA??

Too much MA is when pH drops below 7.2.

I'll bet you have high TA, which tends to drive pH up, and the SWG does it too.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Correct. TA is consistently high too. Another question concerning CYA. Is there a "generic" source for stabilizer or only the usual outlets? Any good sources?
    Trenton, IL (St. Louis Area)
    TF-100 test kit, 18,000 gallon, 18x33 oval Johnny Weismuller, AG, Jacuzzi Lazer sand filter, AquaTrol SWG, 1.5 HP Pentair pump that runs constantly.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by TrentonTom
    Correct. TA is consistently high too. Another question concerning CYA. Is there a "generic" source for stabilizer or only the usual outlets? Any good sources?
    I haven't needed to buy any yet, but google "swimming pool stabilizer" or "cyanuric acid" and look at the shopping results. Not bad with free shipping and no tax.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

How much acid can I add until I look like Two Face from the Batman movie? Ph is consistently high. I know that this is a function of the SWG that runs constantly, but how much is too much? Everything I read is blast it until the Ph comes down to the target but my tests are usually in the 7.8+ range.
    Are you never seeing a 7.2 reading?

Make sure you are plugging your TA level into the pool calculator when figuring out how much MA to use. At a higher TA, it will require much more acid than the default 100. You should be able to test 30 minutes to an hour after your acid addition and verify that you have lowered your pH to 7.2. If it didn't lower it that much, your pH could have been higher than you though to start with, or you could be off on how many gallons your pool is. If needed, plug your NEW numbers back into the pool calculator and add more acid until you reach 7.2.
    ~~ Allison ~~
    Intex 18' x 48" Easy Set Pool, approximately 5455 gallons
    Krystal Clear 1500 GPH Filter Pump Model 56635EG - 635 with Auto Timer
    BBB FOR BEGINNERS ~ THIS IS A MUST READ FOR ANYONE OVERWHELMED!!

6. Back To Top    #6

I've seen it at Lowes in the pool section out in garden. And at the local Mom-n-Pop Ace Hardware. And word here is that Walmart has it cheap.

It's pretty specific to pools, unlike bleach or baking soda, so you won't find it under some other name in the grocery store. It will be called Stabilizer, or Conditioner, or Cyanuric Acid, or some gigantic chemical name with cyan in there somewhere. Read the label and look for the highest percentage, and especially no copper/cupro compounds in it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!