Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How deep does the water need to be before the walls are safe

1. Back To Top    #1

How deep does the water need to be before the walls are safe

I'm hoping to start the assembly stage of my pool within the next week but we have had a lot of evening thunderstorms. I'm planning on having stakes around the perimeter of the wall while I get to the cove/sand/liner set. What I was wondering is how sturdy is the wall is while staked and how much water needs to be in the pool before the pool is structurally safe from say thunderstorm winds?

Thanks to any and all that reply
    24 Ft Sharkline Matrix , ~15,200 Gallons
    Pentair SD60 w/ 2 speed 1.5 HP Dynamo pump
    Taylor K-2006 --- BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How deep does the water need to be before the walls are

My husband says water has 8 pounds of force per gallon (he builds water and chemical tanks). I don't know how much force you would need to make the walls sturdy, but maybe your math is better than mine I hope that's somewhat helpful.
    14k gallon oval agp, sand filter, 1hp pump, BBB method, K-2006 Test Kit
    Roanoke, VA

3. Back To Top    #3

Eight or ten inches of water will pretty much do it. Until the water is in, it is possible for the whole thing to fall over, though that isn't likely with the smaller sizes, more common with the largest above ground pools.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the replies, I've decided to wait until I can get the walls up and liner in during the same day
    24 Ft Sharkline Matrix , ~15,200 Gallons
    Pentair SD60 w/ 2 speed 1.5 HP Dynamo pump
    Taylor K-2006 --- BBB