big uh-oh - added 1 gal of muriatic acid instead of bleach

May 26, 2012
Jackson/New Jersey
SWG, 23,000 gal inground vinyl swimming pool.
I checked today and my chlorine was .5-1 on the basic test. I looked at Aquarite and it said my salt level was 2300 and to check the cell, add salt. I stopped the swg and went to pour in two gallons of chlorine. I added the first gallon, then when I finished adding the second, I noticed that I grabbed the wrong jug and added 1 gallon of muriactic acid. Other than my ph dropping, should I be concerned. I am not letting anyone swim in the pool until I hear back. Kids are ****** at my stupidity!!!

Thanks,
Brian

Re: big uh-oh - added 1 gal of muriatic acid instead of blea

Too low pH can be damaging to pool and equipment.

What was pH before you added the MA?

[s:p29gyf12]How many gallons is your pool?[/s:p29gyf12]

What is pH testing now?

If the 7.2 was before the gallon of MA, then:

You can use the PoolCalculator.com and add enough borax to get the pH back into the low to mid 7's.

Check the TA, too. It should be between 60 to 80ish.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

The most important thing to do immediately is to brush the side and bottom of the pool where you added the acid to ensure thorough mixing. If the acid pools at the bottom, it can damage your vinyl liner. Then get the pH back up reasonably soon.

The pH is probably below 6.8. If I start with a pH of 7.2, TA of 70 ppm, CYA of 80 ppm and I add one gallon of full-strength Muriatic Acid (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid) to 23,000 gallons, the pH will get lowered to 6.6 though there will be a lot of carbon dioxide outgassing so perhaps it won't get quite that low by the time you next measure it. Anyway, it will take 3-1/2 76-ounce boxes of 20 Mule Team Borax to bring you back to the original pH (and this will add 10 ppm borates to the pool). Or it will take 8 pounds (about 14 cups) of soda ash (pH Up; sodium carbonate; washing soda) though that will increase the TA by 18 ppm.

brianmac said:
I have had my automatic vacuum running all day, so it should take care of the pooling factor - I hope. I already added 3 boxes of 20 mule and am checking ph every 2-3 hours...
Thanks,
Brian
:goodjob: So, we hope you got the pH back in range earlier, right?

just checked PH - 7.2 after 4 boxes of 20 mule borax(thorough day). I just dumped one more box to boost it up. I also added another gallon of bleach to get chlorine up(did this separate(1/2 hour) and always premix borax with water then walk it around pool). It's still in .5 -1 range. SWG still showing 2300, which seems extremely low for me and have it off position. Will get chlorine back up and then tackle swg issue.

Thanks,
Brian

MA should be stored away from other chemicals. Especially do not store MA near a chlorine product. If MA and chlorine come in contact, it can kaboom.

It is best to store MA outside by itself. Example: I store bleach/chlorine in the garage and MA outside under the deck behind a brick pillar setting inside an open 5 gal. bucket. It is exposed to heat/cold, but not direct sun.

I'm just making sure that you know that these two (MA/chlorine) should not be stored together or near each other. :wink:

brianmac:

Don't be too hard on yourself. Mistakes are often learning lessons in disguise. Bet you will not make that mistake again. Plus, with the help of others on this forum, the problem was corrected in less than a day.

Going forward, might want to store MA in a different location than chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.