Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Quick question about CYA in tri-chlor pucks

1. Back To Top    #1

Quick question about CYA in tri-chlor pucks

I'm getting a friends pool up and running for him until he is able to move from Oregon.
    I filled the pool, got the pumps and filter working and I added enough CYA to get it to about 25 PPM. I want to bump that up a little as the pool is in direct sunlight most of the day here in Arizona but I don't want to go too high. For the short term, I'm just using the pucks but I just put the CYA in there yesterday so it doesn't show up on the tests yet.
    I'd like to know how much a single 3" puck will raise the CYA level in a 14k gallon pool?

Thanks.
    Mesa Arizona. Old school 26,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with sand filter built in 1984.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Quick question about CYA in tri-chlor pucks

Most 3" pucks are about 8 ounces, so 1 would raise the FC 3.9 ppm, raise the cya 2.4 ppm, and lower ph ~0.21 (though ph change will depend on TA and starting ph). I got these numbers from the "effects of adding chemicals" section of the poolcalculator.com.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Here's a good post with info. If you know the exact weight you can calculate the exact amount.

A 7oz puck will add about 2ppm per puck

how-much-cya-per-10k-gallons-per-tri-chlor-puck-t976.html
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by lightingguy
    A 7oz puck will add about 2ppm per puck
    In a 14K pool a 7 ounce puck will add 3.4 ppm FC, add 2.1 ppm cya, and lower ph ~0.18 (same caveats as before).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks guys. That helps a lot.
    Mesa Arizona. Old school 26,000 gallon in ground plaster pool with sand filter built in 1984.