Question about CYA in a sock

DPawlu

Aug 4, 2011
Central New Jersey
Probably a silly question, but I'll ask anyway: If you want to raise you CYA level by putting CYA in a sock and putting it in the skimmer basket... if it dissolves too slowly and you want to turn off your pump for the night, can you leave it in the skimmer and restart the pump later to finish dissolving it? What would happen if you remove it and put it back in later?

Also, my CYA level apparently went to zero over the winter. Is this possible? It was something like 50 when I closed the pool.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks!

It is acidic, so don't leave it in the skimmer. Just hang it on a string over the side in front of a return, or tie it to a pool noodle or something.

Yes, it's frequently reported that people lose all CYA over the winter. Some soil bacteria gets in and converts it all to ammonia.

Thanks, Richard. Put it in the skimmer while the pump is running, but tie it to the pool side or noodle when the pump is off, right?

The pool store says to pour it through the skimmer with the pump running and keep the pump running for 24 hours. I have a DE filter and I worry about this being unhealthy for the grids.

Thanks.

If you can leave the pump running while it in front of the return, that will get it in to the pool water the fastest. Make sure the sock does not rest against the pool wall if you turn the pump off. As a safety precaution for my liner, I take the sock out of the pool when I am not running the pump...this might be overkill.

Hang it over the side while running pump as stated or when pump is off put the sock inside one of the puck floaters. Make sure to sqeeze often

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.