Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about CYA in a sock

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about CYA in a sock

Probably a silly question, but I'll ask anyway: If you want to raise you CYA level by putting CYA in a sock and putting it in the skimmer basket... if it dissolves too slowly and you want to turn off your pump for the night, can you leave it in the skimmer and restart the pump later to finish dissolving it? What would happen if you remove it and put it back in later?

Also, my CYA level apparently went to zero over the winter. Is this possible? It was something like 50 when I closed the pool.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Damian

29k gal. In-Ground Plaster Pool (Freeform), Hayward Pro Grid DE4820 (48 sq ft), Hayward SuperPump II (1 hp), In-Line CMP chlorinator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about CYA in a sock

It is acidic, so don't leave it in the skimmer. Just hang it on a string over the side in front of a return, or tie it to a pool noodle or something.

Yes, it's frequently reported that people lose all CYA over the winter. Some soil bacteria gets in and converts it all to ammonia.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, Richard. Put it in the skimmer while the pump is running, but tie it to the pool side or noodle when the pump is off, right?

The pool store says to pour it through the skimmer with the pump running and keep the pump running for 24 hours. I have a DE filter and I worry about this being unhealthy for the grids.

Thanks.
    Damian

29k gal. In-Ground Plaster Pool (Freeform), Hayward Pro Grid DE4820 (48 sq ft), Hayward SuperPump II (1 hp), In-Line CMP chlorinator

4. Back To Top    #4

If you can leave the pump running while it in front of the return, that will get it in to the pool water the fastest. Make sure the sock does not rest against the pool wall if you turn the pump off. As a safety precaution for my liner, I take the sock out of the pool when I am not running the pump...this might be overkill.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. I now have the sock dangling about 1 foot away from one of the spa jets and it is getting a good soaking. I have a TF100 kit on order and will be a brand-new user when it comes in. I'll post up my numbers when I have them.
    Damian

6. Back To Top    #6

Hang it over the side while running pump as stated or when pump is off put the sock inside one of the puck floaters. Make sure to sqeeze often
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!