Please help! Ready to push pool in with tractor!!!!

Lee J

Jul 2, 2012
Western KY
I've been reading for the last few days and have learned lots but I still have a very LONG way to go. :-D I ordered a Taylor 2005 kit and then realized that I needed the 2006. It will be here in a couple of days. My pool has been green since I opened it for the summer. I have never been able to get a FC reading all summer. Needless to say, my pool is a lovely shade of green. The lady at the pool store is a sweet lady BUT I can't afford to continue to throw money into the pool when her recommendations aren't working.

I tested my water tonight and here are my results:
FC-0
TC-0
pH-8.0 this number has been rising over the last couple of weeks
TA-80
CH-450
CYA-45 maybe; the dot disappeared between 40 and 50

So here are my questions. Do I shock the pool first or do I take care of the pH level? I don't have a kit that will read FC as high as I need to keep it until the new test comes in, should I go ahead and start adding the chlorine now or should I wait. Time is not an issue as I am a teacher and at home for the next month. Finally, when I vacuum my pool, the algae returns into my pool. I replaced my sand about 3 weeks ago. I had this problem last summer put the pool lady wasn't concerned and told me to replace a gasket?!?!

I really want a pretty, sparkly pool before I go back to work!

Welcome to tfp, Lee J :wave:

It sounds like you have already been to pool school and have a pretty good grasp on the concepts.

Lee J said:
Do I shock the pool first or do I take care of the pH level?
Lower ph down to 7.2-7.4 first.

Lee J said:
I don't have a kit that will read FC as high as I need to keep it until the new test comes in, should I go ahead and start adding the chlorine now or should I wait.
That is up to you. You will be most efficient with the FAS-DPD kit. You could start the shock process by adding enough FC to raise to the shocking level (for your cya level), then when FC level drops to the 5 ppm max level the OTO test (not the DPD test) is able to measure, then redose up to your FC shocking level.

Hi Lee J and welcome to TFP! :)
I see that your really good at learning fast.
I would use 50 as your CYA factor, it's better to be a little high than too low.
My pool struggled with clearing because mainly from long work days and my chlorine level slipping just under my shock # after getting home.
One of the mods here suggested to up my level 3ppm more so my chlorine would stay 1ppm above my shock level all the time and never fall below.
My pool cleared up in 3 days. Passed my 3 tests in 4 days.

Chuck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.