Continual Hi PH and TA

briansturgeon

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 22, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have the TF100 and since we have opened the pool in May I have not been able to keep the PH or Alkalinity in the appropriate range. PH normally runs 7.8 or higher and TA is always around 170. I have been using muriatic acid in the gallon jugs and putting in what the calculator says to use. PH goes down for a while but TA never seems to and then PH just climbs right back up. Not sure what to do. I have probably put in about 4 gallons so far since mid May but my numbers are still the same as when I started.

Any ideas?

No I hadn't needed to add water until just the other day. I was having those problems before that. If my returns are aimed to high to the surface could that be partly causing the high ph? I do know that have a SWCG causes higher ph right? I just don't know why I can't get my TA down. If I don't lower all the way to 7.2 with acid but it only gets to say 7.4 or something like that would it not be helping at all? I would think it would still be helping.

I've gone from a TA of 550 to 375 in about a week. This has required 6 gallons of MA and aeration. Since my fill is at 550, it will be a constant battle but my limited experience has shown me the process works (lower pH to 7.2, aerate to 7.8, rinse, repeat). I got the fountain because I figured if I have to adjust the pH anyway, I may as well take step 2 to reduce the TA for the long term. Pointing the return up didn't seem to be sufficient for me. I have another case of MA waiting and expect to need another one before I see any stabilization in pH.

Are you getting full strength MA (31%) or 'safer' MA (15%)?

I am following pool school. I am getting full strength. As long as I keep my ph at or below 7.8 am I okay. I just don't want to fight a losing battle for the sake of fighting it to try to hit some target numbers. Am I okay as long as it is below 8 and even if my TA is high?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.