Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Continual Hi PH and TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Continual Hi PH and TA

I have the TF100 and since we have opened the pool in May I have not been able to keep the PH or Alkalinity in the appropriate range. PH normally runs 7.8 or higher and TA is always around 170. I have been using muriatic acid in the gallon jugs and putting in what the calculator says to use. PH goes down for a while but TA never seems to and then PH just climbs right back up. Not sure what to do. I have probably put in about 4 gallons so far since mid May but my numbers are still the same as when I started.

Any ideas?
    18 x 36 IG Vinyl Liner 28K Gallons
    Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS, Pentair CC + 420 Cartridge Filter, Easytouch CP with IC40 SWG
    2" Suction and Return Lines - 2 skimmers, 6 returns
    Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage Robot

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Continual Hi PH and TA

Have you been adding water to replace water lost to evaporation? If so, test the TA level of your fill water. That could be what is constantly raising the TA.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

No I hadn't needed to add water until just the other day. I was having those problems before that. If my returns are aimed to high to the surface could that be partly causing the high ph? I do know that have a SWCG causes higher ph right? I just don't know why I can't get my TA down. If I don't lower all the way to 7.2 with acid but it only gets to say 7.4 or something like that would it not be helping at all? I would think it would still be helping.
    Pentair Intelliflo VS+SVRS, Pentair CC + 420 Cartridge Filter, Easytouch CP with IC40 SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Keep your pH down regardless of how muchacid it takes....always below 8.0

Lower your TA by following the process in Pool School....it works!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Lower your TA by following the process in Pool School....it works!
    But it can take a while.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I've gone from a TA of 550 to 375 in about a week. This has required 6 gallons of MA and aeration. Since my fill is at 550, it will be a constant battle but my limited experience has shown me the process works (lower pH to 7.2, aerate to 7.8, rinse, repeat). I got the fountain because I figured if I have to adjust the pH anyway, I may as well take step 2 to reduce the TA for the long term. Pointing the return up didn't seem to be sufficient for me. I have another case of MA waiting and expect to need another one before I see any stabilization in pH.

Are you getting full strength MA (31%) or 'safer' MA (15%)?
    Vogue Vectra 30' Round (21,200 gallons), Waterway 2HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter - TF100 -- Southern IL - Install 06/2012
    Last minute upgrade from 27' due to error in dealer inventory *yikes*

7. Back To Top    #7

I am following pool school. I am getting full strength. As long as I keep my ph at or below 7.8 am I okay. I just don't want to fight a losing battle for the sake of fighting it to try to hit some target numbers. Am I okay as long as it is below 8 and even if my TA is high?