Installing thru-wall skimmer in Intex - Confused!!

nelson411

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Northern California
Greetings everyone! :wave:
We are installing a through wall skimmer in an Intex 9 X 18 rectangular pool. It's a Hayward SP1091LX skimmer with a butterfly gasket.
I'm confused on how to install the butterfly gasket. I get that the gasket opens up to fit on both the outside and the inside of the liner. I'm confused on whether I need to cut the hole first and then put the skimmer. OR put the skimmer on, and then cut the hole, but if I do this, will I be able to place the butterfly gasket on both sides of the liner?
I suppose I can cut the hole, and then open up the butterfly gasket and install it, but the directions on the Hayward skimmer do not mention anything about how to install the gasket. I hope this is making sense. I'm not the best at DIY-speak...
Any one had any experience with this? I've done the search and read a few posts, but in one of them the link to the photos is no longer working. I'm so confused...
I feel like I'm cramming to learn how to take out someone's appendix without attending med school! I'm really nervous about making that cut into the wall of the liner, but I know a lot of you all have done this and had great results. :goodjob:
Many thanks!
Liz and Dave :wave:

The butterfly gasket is designed to be put on after the liner is cut but since you're putting it on and Intex the general suggestion is to install the skimmer and then cut out the opening. Realizing that you can't do that with a butterfly gasket you have a few choices.
1. Cut the liner and then install the gasket and skimmer. With this approach you're taking a chance that the liner may stetch once you cut it and then the gasket won't seal it. If the pool is empty it's probably safe to do it this way. If it's full, I'm not sure.

2. Buy a 2-piece gasket and install the skimmer and cut the liner after installation.

3. Cut the butterfly gasket apart and install it as a 2-piece gasket and cut the opening after the skimmer is installed.

I'd probably go for door number 2.

Hi Bama R.
That's a great idea! I go with door #2! I never would have thought of that one!
One more question...what do I cut the liner with? A utility knife?
Thanks again!
Liz

Northern California 9 X 18 Intex Ultra Frame Pool (mint in the box), 1 hp Hayward C-400 pump & cartridge filter Twins (Boy/Girl) 10 yrs old

I just put one in my intex and what I did was cut the gasket in half and trim off any lip and make sure you tighten it good and make sure there are no leaks prior to cutting out the centermake sure all hoses are connected prior to cutting it out also.....Mike

Thanks fast1971chevelle,

It went slowly today and utterly frustrating just to connect the hoses, due to trying to replace the Intex valves. It seems everything Intex is not standard!
I'm so glad yours went well. It gives me hope!
cheers,
Liz

Hi Bama Rambler,
Bama Rambler said:
would cut it with my pocket knife but I keep it as sharp as a razor so that's not fair.
LOL. My hubby is the only one who has a pocket knife, and he got it when he was an Eagle Scout. It's almost an heirloom!

Bama Rambler said:
I'd suggest a utility knife with a new blade or an exacto knife.
Good thing for we have both! :party:

I'm going to do the cut tomorrow. Still so frustrated from the Intex Irregularity issue! :evil:

Wish me luck!
Cheers,
Liz :wave:

Hi nelson411, :)
Have you looked through this post? My posts start at the bottom of page 1.
custom-pvc-pipe-adapter-for-intex-pools-t28971.html
Not really that hard to do. I did install my skimmer with the water drained just 2 inches below the bottom of the return hole.
I also cut out the Intex 1 1/4 molded in return and thru wall fitting for the floating stock skimmer for 1 1/2 hayward ones that came with the skimmer kit. Bought 2 of the winter plugs also to fit the new 1 1/2 fitting to plug them when needed.
These Intex liners are pretty strong, not like a normal wall pool liner.

Chuck

I was just getting ready to post that link supertune. I had a issue with my original intake it don't have enough of a lip for it to seal and the eyeball that came with the heritage skimmer was a lot smaller than the intex so I ordered another intex return..but definatly read the link that supertune listed above

Hi Chuck
Thanks for the link. I bit the bullet and cut a hole for the Hayward return. I think I will try my hand at those adaptor soon.
Cheers,
Liz

Northern California 9 X 18 Intex Ultra Frame Pool (mint in the box), 1 hp Hayward C-400 pump & cartridge filter Twins (Boy/Girl) 10 yrs old

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah! I did it! We took a chance and installed the skimmer. I did the main cut while hubby trimed it. It has a teeny leak, but silicone should fix that. The funny part was I set up the connections to the pump backwards! Now only problem is PVC flex tubes are blowing off connections from filter to return. Very frustrating! Will try to fix with new connectors.
Here are some pics
c6e4d88f-8078-69ca.jpg

c6e4d88f-8165-ff82.jpg

c6e4d88f-81f2-ae5b.jpg

c6e4d88f-820f-9b77.jpg

So glad I found this forum! I've been lurking for around a year or so. So I have a 16x48 summer escapes pro series pool much like the intek. It already had a through the wall skimmer but when I upgraded my pump/filter to a sand filter and proper pump I couldn't vac through the skimmer like I had wanted due to the new pump crushing the part of the skimmer that held that useless paper filter. Anyway I ordered the same skimmer mentioned in the first post and here's how I did it.
Removed old skimmer and found I could reuse these two holes:

Used an awl to punch bolt holes:

Mounted the skimmer Without the gasket (scared out of my mind I was going to drop my S3):

Cut out the excess liner :

Removed skimmer and Installed butterfly gasket:

Before anyone asks yes I cleaned all the junk off around the gasket area before screwing it down. It was a wild success except that I lost one screw to the green monster. Filling it the rest of the way up and getting ready to shock the monster into submission. I left one of the top screws out until I retrieve it.

Awesome post!

I just received the same skimmer and it is sitting on the kitchen counter, ready for install (hopefully this weekend).

Any tips on water level? I assume it runs about up to the halfway mark on the skimmer?

We are considering installing an in wall skimmer in our Intex Ultra Frame Pool (20' round). Not sure how the skimmer will work because of the location of the intake hole which sits well below the water level. Can we reverse the holes and make the present outlet hole the inlet hole and install the skimmer there and then make the present inlet hole the outlet hole? Is this confusing or what? Has anyone installed the Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-skim into an ultra frame intex pool? Thanks for any help.

devery said:
We are considering installing an in wall skimmer in our Intex Ultra Frame Pool (20' round). Not sure how the skimmer will work because of the location of the intake hole which sits well below the water level. Can we reverse the holes and make the present outlet hole the inlet hole and install the skimmer there and then make the present inlet hole the outlet hole? Is this confusing or what? Has anyone installed the Hayward SP1091LX Dyna-skim into an ultra frame intex pool? Thanks for any help.

The skimmer you install by cutting into the liner (at least on an Intex pool). So location of inlet/outlet doesn't matter a great deal, though it is probably best to get your skimmer installed a few feet away from the outlet to allow the circulation to bring debris to your skimmer. But you won't necessarily be lining it up near your inlet.

I have the Ultra Frame 26' and am considering doing the through wall skimmer. Can anyone tell me if they have had this modification for several years and it is still holding up? I take my pool down at the end of each summer and store it. Anyone had issues with the liner ripping due to the cut? I'm just scared there may be problems after the first year. Any information would be welcome. Thanks.

had mine done for this my second year and no problems yet......but i don't take mine down in the winter as i live in southwestern Ohio and our winters are pretty harsh to say the least...all i did was lower my water level 1 inch below the lowest fitting and i did not even cover mine and crystal clear when i opened it this spring.......BBB IS GREAT.....Mike

Reactions: charliej

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.