Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High Salt

1. Back To Top    #1

High Salt

My Pentair IC40 SWG started having issues at the beginning of the season. It was clean and only two years old, but the generation light would never, ever come on, even set at 100%. I must have watched that thing for hours. Anyway, I limped along using bleach (BBB) until I finally called my builder, who also does Pentair service. They came and swapped it for a new one, leaving me very happy. Great service!

Now with the new cell, it is producing chlorine like a champ. However, with the old cell, the salt reading displayed on my EasyTouch was 3200ppm (I just added a bag a few days ago to take it up from 3000) as of last night. Ideal, according to Pentair, is 3400ppm. The new cell tonight reads 4600ppm and the Salt light is flashing (indicating high salt). I will test it with strips over the weekend. But it got me thinking...is there any potential damage being done running with high salt for a while until the rain, fill and generation help take it down? We're on well water here, so I am very judicious with fill. I hate the idea of needing to dump-and-fill to get it down, but I also don't want to damage my new cell or other equipment.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
    25' x 37' freeform, 22,000 gallon saltwater, 3'6" to 6'6" deep, including baja shelf and benches, 120 ft EP Henry retaining wall
    Pentair equipment (CC420 cartridge filter, VS-3050 variable speed pump, IC 60 salt cell, EasyTouch), 200 sq ft pool house
    View our Pool Build - View our Pool House Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High Salt

Oh, and to answer the usual context questions:

FC - 3
    CC - 0
    PH - 7.8
    TA - 80
    CH - 180
    CYA - 60

Water Temp is about 88 with all the heat we've had lately.
    25' x 37' freeform, 22,000 gallon saltwater, 3'6" to 6'6" deep, including baja shelf and benches, 120 ft EP Henry retaining wall
    Pentair equipment (CC420 cartridge filter, VS-3050 variable speed pump, IC 60 salt cell, EasyTouch), 200 sq ft pool house

3. Back To Top    #3

I wouldn't do *anything* until I confirmed the salt content myself!

Currently I test using a salt test kit (drops) and not strips. My drop test says I have 3400 ppm but my SWG randomly reports much more, often up like 6000 ppm. We've not added any salt since the pool was finished in Oct 2011. I suspect we need to tweak or calibrate the SWG but it isn't real high on Skippy's "to do list" since our water is so nicely balanced we're happy to toodle along like we are.

Take your water to have the salt tested if you don't have a way to test yourself.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, Yippee. I will test this weekend to see where we are and go from there. Everything I've read says that up to 5000ppm is not a major issue, especially if it is for a limited time. 3000 - 3500 is ideal.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quick follow-up: with a couple of rains, our salt is down to about 4300ppm. All seems well, so I am just letting it ride for now.

6. Back To Top    #6

Is that from salt strips or the readout of the swg?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

When a cell is wearing out, it typically reads a lower salt level than the actual level, leading you to add to much salt, and a sudden jump in salt reading when you replace the cell. All of that is normal, and nothing to worry too much about. The salt level will come down over time. If it was higher you would need to replace water to bring it down, but you were lucky and got away with just some rain.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

My ic40 has been reading high salt for some time now. I called pentair many times and they say it's fine to run it that way so long as I'm maintaining chlorine and Im checking my salt levels accurately. According to them it reading connectivity based on many factors such as temp and and water content. They always ask what my csi is. I never really know how to answer that one. Steve
    24X38'ish 23,500 gallon Geometric with 10x10 spa(12jets), Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair intelliflow(pool-spa), pentair whispersflow 2HP(booster spa jets), Two Polaris 1.5 Hp blowers, Pentair Wisperflow XF 3HP(2 6 foot water falls), Pentair clean&clear plus 520, Pentair Master temp 400. Intelli PH acid dispenser, Intellitouch with iPhone and iPad control. Two 45000 BTU fire bowls and one 60000 BTU fire pit.

9. Back To Top    #9

you can calculate your CSI using pool calculator.
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks, Jason.

Linen, my EasyTouch says 4300ppm, and my strips show a bit over 4000ppm by my reading. My CSI is 0.4, so I'm good there. All in all, I'm fine from everything I've read. Seems like under 5000 and with a reasonable CSI, there is no real potential for damage, which was my primary concern.

Steve, one thing to look for is whether your temperature sensors are operating correctly, especially the water temp. When my flaked out, all sorts of weird readings started happening on my EasyTouch and, because it erroneously thought my water temp was -57 degrees, it would not allow my SWG to operate (as a cold water safety thing). Since the PPM reading can be influenced by temp, it might be something to look at anyway. BTW, how is your IntelliPh working? Been eyeing one of those.....

11. Back To Top    #11

Well my temp sensors are working normally, as far as I know. They show appropriate temps. My intelliph is great! I think for the money I would absolutely due it again. I travel a lot and don't worry about the pool at all. Every Monday I check my levels and they always right where I expect them to be.
    24X38'ish 23,500 gallon Geometric with 10x10 spa(12jets), Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair intelliflow(pool-spa), pentair whispersflow 2HP(booster spa jets), Two Polaris 1.5 Hp blowers, Pentair Wisperflow XF 3HP(2 6 foot water falls), Pentair clean&clear plus 520, Pentair Master temp 400. Intelli PH acid dispenser, Intellitouch with iPhone and iPad control. Two 45000 BTU fire bowls and one 60000 BTU fire pit.

12. Back To Top    #12

Forgot to thank you for the comment on IntelliPH, Steve. We'll be buying one off-season for use next year.