Sand "oozing" out from under pool

erivette

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 26, 2009
South Texas
I just had a wonderful swim in my 2 week old pool. When done I was walking around the pool pulling the solar cover into place and saw sand next to a support beam. It wasn't there yesterday. I felt it and it's very wet. The dirt is wet as well. Should a brand new pool be leaking? Should sand "ooze" out from under the pool? :grrrr: How would I even begin to find the leak? I'm so upset. Is this normal???

The first thing to do is run a bucket test to make sure it is leaking. Then walk around the pool on the inside sliding you're foot along the cove feeling for a sunken in place. Pay special attention to the area the sand came out.

If it's leaking and/or if there's a sunken place it's time to call them.

There is a divvit or like a sink hole, about the size of my foot. I called the pool company and was told it's covered if it's on the seam. Otherwise I must have caused the hole. My bare feet and inflatable floats did not cause a hole. I cant tell where the hole is exactly. There is a seam along the cove and the sink hole starts at the base of the cove. I'm thinking it's had the leak and after about a week of water slowly running down the cove that the sand finally gave when it reached its saturation level. But how do I prove that? And what about all the water and start up chemicals? If they replace the liner cuz it was bad, should they cover those things as well? So much cheaper to just patch. But did I get a faulty liner that will continue to cause problems? What to do???

Ok so I just tested with food coloring. If I squeeze it in the divvit it just floats like in a bowl. I squeezed some along the seam above the divvit and instead of floating away it swirled right there. To me that seems like it's the seam. So patch or replace considering all the start up expenses??? AHHHHHH

The pool store is sending out the installer next week. If it's a split seam or a hole it's not covered. Only covered if it's a problem with the way the seam was laminated when manufactured. Under water you can't see any problem at all. So it all hinges on what installer determines. Installer told me to try patching, store told me to leave it alone. UGH. I don't know how he will determine anything cuz it all looks fine. I have a sick feeling they're going to blame me. Funny thing is that I can't remove solar cover alone so I just push it to one side of the pool and use the other 3/4 of the pool and that unused side has the leak. I have a feeling I'm going to get screwed.

I would not do anything until after the installer looks at the liner. If it is a hole and not the seam you should be able to patch the hole. Worst case is you have to empty the pool and repair the area where the leak was to get rid of the sunken area. If it is the seam the installer will repair/replace that but who pays for the water will be something you will have to work out. Start up chemicals should not be too much $$$ using BBB.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.