Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Burning eyes tonight - stumped

1. Back To Top    #1

Burning eyes tonight - stumped

Been trucking along with the BBB method and had great results so far. Tonight we all got in the pool and the water was really harsh on the eyes.

Here are my numbers:
    pH = ~7.5
    FC = 3.5 (added enough bleach to bring up to 5)
    CC = 0 or 0.5 the water seemed a little "off" but not really pink. One drop didn't change it, so i think it was just user error
    TA = 120
    CH = 150
    CYA = 30

Anyone have any ideas? I know low pH (below 7.2) or high CC can cause it but i have neither. I did notice tonight that when I swam underwater things seems a little more blurry than before, not really cloudy just hazier. We have had really hot weather here so I was worried about something starting, but I have been on top of the FC level and they have not dropped below 5 until tonight when I checked.

Thanks in advance for any ideas / help anyone can provide!
    15 X 30 oval AG ~ 12,000 gallons. (completed June 23, 2012)
    1 HP Cooper Ranger Sand Filter
    BBB Method / TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Burning eyes tonight - stumped

I am guessing you might have some CC that is not showing up in high enough quantities to show up on the test, but is enough to bother the eyes. I would do a OCLT tonight. I order to do this, I would raise the FC up to your shocking level as I find the test is more foolproof there and you will be started with the shocking process if you fail it.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Linen! I kinda started thinking the same thing so I added more chlorine than I originally planned when I posted. I will test again in a bit and get it up to 13 and do a OCLT test tonight. How scary is it that i am "excited" to have to do my first OCLT test.... LOL

4. Back To Top    #4

Failed the OCLT test last night, brought the pool back up to shock level this morning and will keep it there. Going to do the test again tonight, hopefully we nipped whatever it was in the bud...

5. Back To Top    #5

Just an update, my pool is back to it's beautiful sparkly non-burning self and we have been enjoying it with the hot weather. Another tribute to the lessons learned on this site and how keeping on top of your pool chemistry can help keep things from getting out of control.

Thanks everyone!

6. Back To Top    #6

Nice job
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Now THAT is a testament to the TRUE value of BBB.

It ain't the chemicals, it's the knowledge!

Well done, Becky! Good catch!
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

8. Back To Top    #8

Above-ground pools can have poor bottom circulation so combined with the hot weather the chlorine level might have gotten too low locally and had some algae grow. You nipped it in the bud by shocking. You might take a look at your return(s) to see how they are pointed and if you can get more of a swirling effect by pointing them slightly down and to one side. The downside to that is that you don't get quite as much skimming action.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek
    Above-ground pools can have poor bottom circulation so combined with the hot weather the chlorine level might have gotten too low locally and had some algae grow. You nipped it in the bud by shocking. You might take a look at your return(s) to see how they are pointed and if you can get more of a swirling effect by pointing them slightly down and to one side. The downside to that is that you don't get quite as much skimming action.

So true here this is what I did and can attest that skimming is not as good but with the detachable skimmer net and four kids that swim everyday it has now become a contest with them to take the nets and see which one can catch the most floating stuff and help daddy keep the pool squeaky clean

BBB Knowledge + 4 kids + 4 Detachable Skimmer nets + swimming every night = The Cleanest Pool in the Neighborhood

Oh and time for
    POOL SIZE: 27 FT round 52" Deep on edges 66" Deep in center
    FILTER TYPE: Hayward Sand Filter
    PUMP SIZE: Hayward 1 HP Pump 60GPM
    FILTER SIZE/FLOW RATE: Unknown
    HEATER: None at the moment but in process of making my solar panels should be operational by next season!

10. Back To Top    #10

Just think, if you were going to the pool store, you would not have had the ability to test and react. You would still be wondering what's wrong and hoping to get to the pool store before it closed... with a fresh sample of water.... and you would likely have a green pool based on the stuff they "suggested" instead of actually killing the algae with CL.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100