Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new pool, help please :)

1. Back To Top    #1

Brand new pool, help please :)

hi guys, this is my first post. my name is zak

pristine blue user here.. me and my mother just put in a pool about a week or two ago, realized our hair was turning green.. no good, we have no idea what to do

i was browsing the forum and noticed that most of you dislike the stuff greatly, so then i looked into things and saw baquacil, didnt see much good there either. any suggestions there? i'm assuming its just as bad if not worse

what should we do? get rid of pristine blue? convert to baquacil? something else? i noticed something about BBB.. how do you like that? is that a chlorinated procedure? we're open to ANY suggestions here we were trying to stay away from chlorine but i guess we'll do whatever it takes haha

please help! any suggestions will be taken.. thank you!!
    52'' x 27' round pool, 18k gallons, 1.5hp pump, titan ac 247 IGSM filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new pool, help please :)

Welcome to tfp, Krunk5928

Not a lot of Pristine Blue fans here since it adds copper to your pool and copper can stain and cause blonde hair to turn green. You still need a sanitizer with it...either Chlorine, Bromine, and Biguanide(Baqua). Since you need a sanitizer anyways, why use the Pristine Blue in the first place.

Baqua can work but is expensive and prone to causing problems.

Bromine in a pool ends up costing more than chlorine and tends to have a smell that bothers some people.

Chlorine is really the best choice for a pool.

Why do you want to stay away from Chlorine?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

thank you and no reason in particular.. just liked the idea of a non chlorinated pool

but you make a very valid point, whats the sense in using the pristine blue if thats the case.

so since we've only done one dose of pristine blue, can we convert to chlorine without having to drain our pool?

whats the best way to go about doing this?

4. Back To Top    #4

How many ounces of the pristine blue did you add? Do you know your copper level? If you hair is turning green it may already be high. You could get it tested at the pool store...you/I would be hoping it is less than 0.3 ppm.

If there is significantly more than the 0.3, then a drain/refill is in order (I suspect it is due to your hair issue).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

5. Back To Top    #5

okay so my mom tested the pool, we dont have a fancy tester for all the numbers but what we do have is this

we have no chlorine, and no stabilizer

we do have a ph of 7.4 though and our copper level is .4

should we shock/chlorine our pool? then add stabilizer? or what should we do

6. Back To Top    #6

Since you are already having the problems with your green hair, you will need to do a partial drain refill to lower the copper concentration in your pool, before you do much else.

Could you put your pool and equipment specs in your sig?

7. Back To Top    #7

unfortunately us draining the pool is not an option we cannot afford to refill it, we've only added 1 doseage of the pristine blue, there has to be a way to do this without draining.. please help us lol..

i added my pool stats to my sig, if theres anything else you need to know i'd be happy to tell you anything you need to know

8. Back To Top    #8

Hi Zak and welcome to TFP!
    Since your a newbie, do lots of reading here at this TFP.com
    All your answers are here about chlorine and more.
    I have no experience with pool care other than chlorine system.
    I did buy my copper kit with my TF-100 test kit here:
    http://tftestkits.net/K-1730-Taylor-Cop ... t-p57.html
    http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html

These test kits are the Snap-On tools of the trade for pool water chemistry.
    Without them pool care is much harder to achieve.
    Trouble Free Pool has made life very enjoyable with my family over our pool. (even got rid of the small pool and went bigger!)
    My pool is very easy to care for now with the $30 college education I got here learning pool water chemistry.
    I gave back to help this forum stay here for newbie's like you!
    click-here-to-become-a-troublefreepool-com-supporter-t183.html
    Read in Pool School link at the top right of the page.
    It will take a little time to sink in, but it becomes very simple.
    Post any questions you have and we can help you succeed with pool care as we have!

Chuck
    Swim n Play 21' round, expandable 72" liner, 6FT deep center, buried 14", 12,750 Gallons
    Waterway 1HP-2 speed with 22" Sand filter
    TF-100 test kit
    Thanks to TFP my pool is perfect all the time :party:
    I now suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :whoot:
    I am a Platinum contributor because I want everyone who comes here to Trouble Free Pool to have the same success that I enjoy with my pool and family.

9. Back To Top    #9

The issue is the copper already in your water. As you know, it stains hair. The only way to get copper concentration down is to dilute it. If you are willing to live with the possible hair issues and the potential for staining your pool, then you can skip the drain/refill and start using the BBB method.

10. Back To Top    #10

yeah i tried explaining that to my mom, she wont listen. she thinks if she adds chlorine and shock to the pool the copper is going to magically disappear and everythings going to be honky dory. thank you for your help though man i'm just gonna let her do what she wants

11. Back To Top    #11

quite the opposite from what I learned. Our hair turns greener when we shock the water. I've been battling this since we opened our pool this spring.
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by 8corneflakes
    quite the opposite from what I learned. Our hair turns greener when we shock the water. I've been battling this since we opened our pool this spring.
    You have some type of metal in your water, whether it is copper or iron, metals cause the green hair, not the chlorine. You should have it tested for type and amount.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

13. Back To Top    #13

got it tested at three places because I don't have a copper test. all came back 0. just poured in Jacks blue stuff yesterday and hopeful that the green monster will go away. Only my toe head daughter is green. the rest of us (7) have blondish hair but it's not green...yet.
    Theresa and/or Gary

Complete DIY: 20x40' rectangle. Resin walls, vinyl lined. 33000 gallons. Full width steps. 8' deep. Diving board, slide. Hayward pro series super pump, sand filter. Raypack 336K BTU heater. Main drain, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, 2 amerilite lights with quick change lens Aquamatic auto cover and a partridge in a pear tree.
    Breaking our backs in the hopes that one of our six kids will care for us when we are old ;)