New Limestone Coping: Cracks or veins?

debra100

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 21, 2012
Rowlett Texas
I just had my pool redone. They installed Limestone Coping that is beautiful. I have noticed all 4 courners have a hairline crack from the pool edge coming back 8-10 inches.

The Builder told me these are NOT cracks thay are natual stone veins. I do not beleave this is true looking at stone veins in-line.

Can you all take a look at the pictures and let me know your thoughts? I'm worried about the winter
and the stones cracking more. I think the builder is trying to get out of replacing the 4 slabs.

A New Member - Debra

http://s1165.photobucket.com/albums/q591/vz13ws/

here is the link to my pictures I hope this works? Please let me as I'm new to this.

I agree that the stones should not be replaced or, it will look worse. What is making me upset is that the contractor did not even come out to look at the cracks? He told me over a phone call that all natual stone have veins. That they come out of the ground with veins. How would he know these are not cracks unless he was to come out to see them? I did mantion they were hairline cracks..

I researched that if you can feel the crack its cracked - I can't seem to feel the crack when running my fingers over them. I'm hoping this winter in (texas) does not cause more cracking due to extreme weather.

Thank you, All for your help

Debra

I agree that the stones should not be replaced or, it will look worse. What is making me upset is that the contractor did not even come out to look at the cracks? He told me over a phone call that all natual stone have veins. That they come out of the ground with veins. How would he know these are not cracks unless he was to come out to see them? I did mantion they were hairline cracks..

I researched that if you can feel the crack its cracked - I can't seem to feel the crack when running my fingers over them. I'm hoping this winter in (texas) does not cause more cracking due to extreme weather.

Thank you, All for your help

Debra
Hi Debra100. Could you provide an update on those hairline cracks? Did the "stone veins" become actual cracks? I just put in a new pool and notice similar hairline cracks. The contractor said those were veins but offer to replace the stones. My concern is replacing the stones could damage the pool in the long run. So if the vein does NOT turn into actual cracks over time, i can live with the veins. Thank you.

Her "cracks" were stress cracks. The PB was just giving her bull.
sktn77a. What's your opinion? After careful inspection, i see a micro "crack" line that runs along in the paster that is in line with the "vein" of the stone. The pool is a few months old. Is this part of the process where the pool is settling? I did the finger nail test, ran it across to see if it catch, smooth in some areas but caught in other parts of the line. I no longer believe it's veins at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
A "vein" is a layer of dissimilar sedimentation in the limestone. It is not a structural gap, crack, or separation in the slab and it is not necessarily a weak spot in the slab. Having said that, the cure could be worse than the flaw in the OP's case (and maybe yours, too). Yes, the crack is more than likely due to settling of the area around the pool and lack of adequate decoupling from the surrounding deck (you can see the deck cracking in one picture).

Reactions: NimbleQuick
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.