Complete noob question perhaps

Jul 5, 2012
Just recently bought a Intex 15x36 pool to help miserably hot prego wife. Got it completely filled yesterday, but didnt have time to add chemicals due to the fact we were already late to her parents.

Anyway, it rained a few times between last night and about an hour ago when I removed my pool cover to find a greenish brown (more brown than green) pool. Kinda looks like a pond. I did fill it with well water, but it wasnt bad when it got done filling. Perhaps a very slight tinge of color to it, but nothing immediately noticeable.

So, my question is, even though it was covered, seeing as the Intex pool cover for some reason has holes in it, could the rain have caused my water to look so putrid?

Not sure if this woulda helped or hurt, but I dumped about 8oz of HTH Shock treatment and about 3oz of chlorine granules to the skimmer. Probably would have been more chlorine, but I ended up accidentally dumping most of the bottle on the ground :evil:

Sounds like your well water has iron in it. That is pretty common. The iron will give the water a yellowish cast that turns brown (rusts) when chlorine is added. You need to get a sequesterent, such as Jack's Magic, to correct this problem.

JohnT said:
Welcome to the forum. Did you add the chlorine before or after the water changed colors?

Ya, my water definitely has Iron in it lol. From what my neighbors have told me, we have some of the worse water in the city.

Thanks for the welcome (and the quick responses). I added chlorine after the water changed. I didnt add anything after it filled yesterday. Took cover off approx 12 hours after it got done filling to find pond water in my pool lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.