Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Not a great start...

1. Back To Top    #1

Not a great start...

It seems like not a good sign that the Before U Dig person came out today (while we were at work), the day before install of our pool, and marked four flags inside the 27' perimeter. This can't be a good thing, right?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Pool: 27' x 52" AG, about 16,500K, cartridge filter
    Waterway 175 sq ft 1.5 hp pump 2-speed
    Deck first of June!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Not a great start...

You may want to move the pool over a bit if you have room. Usually they don't have to dig too deep to level the ground, but if you have enough space to move it over it may make things easier in the long run.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I would suggest moving the site several feet outside where they marked with the flags, PLUS, use EXTREME caution when digging along that side of the site, they have been known to miss the mark when locating stuff unground.

At least if you don't move those flags, and now that you have pics of it, if you do damage something it is on them, but if you do damage something buried it could be very dangerous, thus my warning to use extreme caution in that area.

Digging or not I would totally avoid setting up a pool over where they have marked, if your luck is anything like mine, as soon as you get the pool full there will be someone knocking on your door telling you they need to dig up something and you will have to drain the pool and move it out of their way!
    Samantha

In the process of building for a 22' Intex Ultra Frame, (completion date up in the air at this point).
    We could not beat our backyard into submission so we "Buried It".

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh, just to keep the fun going, our pool store told it was OK to use an extension cord for the pump. I'm guessing that's a no, right?

(I wish I was making this up!)
    Deck first of June!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ha, ya those lines are definitely a problem...and your correct, an extension cord is not the way to go, you should have a dedicated circuit for the pump.
    Hey, at least your doing it all properly and found out ahead of time, had you just brought in an excavator and started digging you'd have one major headache.

Good luck with the rest of it!!
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

6. Back To Top    #6

This is actually Mary Ann's husband and I came home and found the utility flags and markings and I tried something novel --- i read what the markings said. NO LWC (water), NO CTV (cable), NO LGE (gas), NO LGE (electricity). We're good to go. I apologize for my wife getting you all in a tizzy. I swear, she's really bright -- smarter than me -- but she does jump to conclusions.
    Deck first of June!

7. Back To Top    #7

This is Mary Ann's husband again. We've got a dedicated line that goes to the patio and it's got a GFI plug on it. If I get a 12-gauge extension cord that is certified for 20 amps, is there a problem with me running the pump on a temporary basis until we get the deck built and electricity installed?
    Deck first of June!

8. Back To Top    #8

Make sure you get very clear pictures of those flags, good enough to be able to read them without pulling them out of the ground, this covers your backside, just in case.
    Samantha

In the process of building for a 22' Intex Ultra Frame, (completion date up in the air at this point).

9. Back To Top    #9

How long would the cord need to be?
    Samantha

10. Back To Top    #10

The cord would be 15 feet, give or take.
    Deck first of June!

11. Back To Top    #11

Then a really heavy duty "Outdoor" type cord should be fine for the short term, I wouldn't suggest buying a 25-50 foot cord and use it though, get as short as possible.
    Samantha

12. Back To Top    #12

The wife here. I humbly post the B.U.D. photo, taken by my husband. It's says "No" to the utilities being underneath. Explains why they left no note at the door. They were trying to communicate via spray paint, and I missed it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deck first of June!

13. Back To Top    #13

If you get a 12 awg cord and it's on a GFCI it'll be fine. My 1½ hp pump draws less than 12 amps, and if your's is about the same you should be fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

That's just crazy they would mark were they are not located....did they mark where they are located? I mean how do we know they are not on the other side of the pool's circle? did they check the pool's circle everywhere? What if you decide to move the pool 5 ', are their any lines there? WHERE ARE THE LINES!?!
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing