Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool cement paint

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool cement paint

several vendors sell paint to repaint the pool area cement. has anyone tried these paints?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool cement paint

Are you asking about decking paint or paint to paint the pool itself?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Decking paint

4. Back To Top    #4

Are you looking at paint or concrete stain?

Two different beasts.

i have used epoxy concrete paint - specificaly garage floor paint. Aside from the crazy short pot time, and the difficulity with any clean up (just throw away the roller, brush, gloves, and possibly roller frame) it has held up great. No hot tire pick up (but I don't park in the garage too often, too many projects live in that space) and it sweeps clean. I do think it would be a bit too slick for wet areas though.

As for concrete stain, I have used that as well. Just spray it on and let set, then hose off. You can do some very interesting things with it (patterns, mixed colors, etc). Just be sure to hose it AWAY from the pool.

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

5. Back To Top    #5

The stains sell for about 50 bucks a gallon online. Quite pricey for a pool deck area

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbellied
    The stains sell for about 50 bucks a gallon online. Quite pricey for a pool deck area

How big is your pool deck? This is stain, not paint. It is the consistency of water, and gets applied with a sprayer - like a normal pesticide sprayer.

Just looking at random on the web, brickform stains go for about $50 a gallon, and their spec sheets show coverage of between 400 to 600 SF per gallon.

A 35' by 15' square pool (just making up numbers here) with a 10' wide deck around it is only +/-1100 SF (adding that up in my head). Even at the low end of their coverage estimates, that is $150 for the stain

I did a small section of sidewalk - 3' wide by about 15' long and used nowhere near a quarter of the gallon I had. I could not tell you what brand I bought, it was whatever my local mason supply house had in stock.

EDIT: Now that I read the brickform spec sheet more, they say to brush theirs on, but again it is still the viscosity of water or so. The stuff I used you sprayed on. Still, the coverage stated by brickform is 400 - 600 SF per gallon.

-dave
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

7. Back To Top    #7

I was looking at Olympic Patio tones deck coating for around $54.99 a gallon. It says it covers around 80 to 120 sq ft per gallon. My pool is 20 x 50 with about 5 feet front and back and 3 feet on the sides. Just wondering if it easy to apply or do the ones that sell at Home Depot work the same?

8. Back To Top    #8

This article prerry much describes what I did

http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Proje ... o/View-All

My stain (whatever brand it was) was a water based stain that went into a standard pump sprayer.

First I cleaned the concrete with Muriatic Acid (steal some from the pool shed)

Then I rinsed the concrete well, and while it was wet, I sprayed on the stain. I wanted more of a "random" look, so instead of back brushing it, I just sprayed it on all sorts of "swirly" and let it dry

I sealed mine, beacuse I happend to be sealing the paver patio that was next to it at the time.

On a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being the easisest, I would rate it a 2. aside from having to be a bit careful with overspray it is really easy.

-dave
    Zodiac Wahoo