Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another Dumb Question, Shocking After Swimming?

1. Back To Top    #1

Another Dumb Question, Shocking After Swimming?

There are 3 guys at work who shock after more than 2 or 3 people swim. My opinion is test the FC levels, if they are ok then there is no need to shock. Pool school doesn't say anything about shocking except in reference to clearing up a swamp. So, should shocking after swimming and/or weekly shock be part of my routine?
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another Dumb Question, Shocking After Swimming?

I usually test in the morning and evening, and add chlorine as needed. There is a daily dosing of chlorine, and adding chlorine "up to shock level".
    22'x52" AG Ultra Frame Intex - 12,500 gal (47K liter)
    Manual Liquid Chlorine - 1HP 100# Hayward sand filter
    Lots of sun, trees, pollen & wind - 50ppm Borates
    4nd season grateful TFP fan

3. Back To Top    #3

I bet those 3 guys at work rely on trichlor pucks, and toss in a bag of "shock" every week, or every time there's some usage. That's the Pool Store way. Maintain your chemistry and you may never need to perform the shock process.

Give the pool a couple extra ppm before the party starts and a couple more after and it will be fine, assuming everything is balanced.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Maintain your chemistry and you may never need to perform the shock process.
    Exactly. Since finding this site three years ago and learning about pool chemistry, I've had to shock my pool precisely zero times.
    21,000 Gallon IG Plaster with Spillover Spa (Built in 1978) | 48 sq/ft Hayward DE Filter | 3.0 HP Pentair Variable Speed Pump | Hayward H250FDN Heater| 8 Gallon Liquidator | Taylor K-2005 | Taylor FAS-DPD Chlorine Test | Taylor "SpeedStir"

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    Maintain your chemistry and you may never need to perform the shock process.
    Ok, that is what I was thinking, and pretty much what I do. I usually do the tests in the AM. I have the SWG running between 2 and 7 PM, that is when the solar heater is most effective so that is when the pump runs. I check chemistry in the AM and FC doesn't seem to drop much. This morning after all the swimming yesterday and me not adding any extra chlorine it was still at 4 PPM, so I thought that was pretty good.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer