Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My test kit FINALLY arrived and I have numbers for you guys!

1. Back To Top    #1

My test kit FINALLY arrived and I have numbers for you guys!

FC 5.6ppm
    CC 0.2ppm
    pH 7.6
    Alk 105? went clear at 100 and red at 110
    Ca 420
    CYA -- this is stumping me. We have had it tested at the pool store twice this year. The first time they said it was low and to add some. We did...about 4 cups. The next time they said there was none so we added a bunch again. Now since then we've had to use pucks a couple of times while we were away. Today I tested with the new kit and could still see the black dot when the test vial was completely full?!? Riddle me this

I'd like to add this product today as well and would love any advice that you have as to how I should proceed at this point.
    Here is the product page http://www.lawrasons.com/POOLSPA/spo.../poolsoft.html
    Here is the data page http://www.ilovemyoasis.com/commerci...ft_supreme.pdf
    [color=#0000BF]16x32 inground vinyl liner approx 23 000 gallons
    22" cyclone sand filter, 1 HP pump
    solar cover, solar heating panels
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My test kit FINALLY arrived and I have numbers for you g

That pool soft stuff is boric acid.

You can get the same effect with borax. so-you-want-to-add-borates-to-your-pool-why-and-how-t4921.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, I did know that. It actually priced out cheaper than getting the borax and the acid so made more sense to do it this way.

I was calculating out the borax we'd need based on that very page when I found this product cheaper.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by survey77777
    Yes, I did know that. It actually priced out cheaper than getting the borax and the acid so made more sense to do it this way.

I was calculating out the borax we'd need based on that very page when I found this product cheaper.
    Sounds like you've got the BBB approach well in hand, then!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

CYA -- this is stumping me. We have had it tested at the pool store twice this year. The first time they said it was low and to add some. We did...about 4 cups. The next time they said there was none so we added a bunch again. Now since then we've had to use pucks a couple of times while we were away. Today I tested with the new kit and could still see the black dot when the test vial was completely full?!? Riddle me this
    The 4 cups should have raised your cya to [s:1wgjc6uk]21[/s:1wgjc6uk] ~10 ppm. How many pucks and how much more cya have you added? The granular cya can take up to a week to show on test.

FC 5.6ppm
    CC 0.2ppm
    I would use the 10 ml samples size that gives you a 0.5 resolution verses the 25 ml sample size you are using. It will save you reagents and the increased resolution is not needed.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

6. Back To Top    #6

My OH was doing the adding at that time, but if I had to guess he added another 4 cups. We did replace our filter in between those additions so I'd be willing to accept that we could have lost a fair amount of the first dose but not the second. We avoided any backwashing etc for 10 days afterwards as well to avoid losing more. I'd say he's added a total of about 10 pucks over the time period too. I seriously can't figure this out.

Thank you for the advice on the sample size. I went with the more accurate one for a first time as I really had no idea what I was getting into! Your logic makes sense to me.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

10 3-inch pucks (~8 ounces each) should have added ~ 14 ppm cya.

How were you adding the granular cya?

Total right now should be the initial [s:kiw65bh9]4 lbs cya added 21 ppm, additional 4 lbs of cya added 21 ppm, 8 pucks added 14 ppm for a grand total of 56 ppm[/s:kiw65bh9]. This is assuming you didn't backwash any out. 56 ppm is as high you should go unless you have a swg (saltwater chlorine generator).
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Granular was added in a sock. The first batch in the skimmer in a sock and the second in front of a return.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I got your cya numbers wrong...I reading lbs when you were writing cups.

4 cups will add 10 ppm not 21

So you should be around 34 ppm total.

When did you add the last batch?

10. Back To Top    #10

Just over 2 weeks ago I believe and more pucks were in over this past long weekend. I'm assuming that regardless I should go ahead and add a few cups tonight?
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Review the extended test kit directions and re-test cya before adding any more.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

We have had it tested at the pool store twice this year. The first time they said it was low and to add some. We did...about 4 cups. The next time they said there was none so we added a bunch again. Now since then we've had to use pucks a couple of times while we were away. Today I tested with the new kit and could still see the black dot when the test vial was completely full?!? Riddle me this
    Unless you made an error on the testing, you have no CYA....or at least less than 30 (What kind of test do you have?)

NEVER trust pool store testing. How you ended up with less than you thought would be there I don't know but DO NOT trust the pool store test over what you can see with your own eyes.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

I reviewed those directions and they are the exact steps that I took when I tested.
    The test kit that I have is the Taylor K-2006
    I'm assuming there is no logical reason that we would lose CYA other than that it was lodged in the sand of the old filter. This would account for some loss...but not the stuff added afterwards.
    Regardless, I appreciate all of the advice here and will add more tomorrow.
    As to adding the boracic acid...can I just go ahead and do this anytime?
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

As to adding the boracic acid...can I just go ahead and do this anytime?
    Before you add borates, get you TA down to 70-80 ppm, it will be hard to move after you add. If you havn't read this, do so: http://www.troublefreepool.com/so-yo...how-t4921.html

15. Back To Top    #15

So this issue has been puzzling me now all day long. I tested the FC this morning and it was at 5.0. Then this evening it was only down to 4.0 after a heavy day of swimming, super high temps, and straight sunshine all day long. So if I have no stabilizer how is this possible.
    I also retested using the other bottle of reagent in the kit to see if I got the same results...and I did.

Nothing has been added to the pool in this time frame and there are no pucks in the pool.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit