sand in bottom of pool

Jul 5, 2012
Kentucky
I purchased my mother’s old pool last year. It’s a 18 x 42 Intex above ground pool. When I got it from her it had a small pump that took cartridge filters. Last year was the first year I used it and where I lived didn’t have a level area to put in except under a huge tree. Well I fought all year with the leaves so when I moved this year I had a perfect spot for the pool with not leaves.

I went to Wal-Mart this year and also purchased a Krystal Clear Sand Filter and I have had nothing but problems from the pool this year (I’d much rather just clean the leaves out). So I kinda had to jerry rig the new pump up to fit the pool (by using the old pump to connect the new filter hose too) just to use it.
The new pump is not strong enough to use a vacuum so I have a vacuum that hook to the water hose. It will get some of the sand out of the bottom (by using panty hose instead of the mesh bag) of the pool but not all of it. When I go to vacuum a lot will get disturbed and mixed back into the water which makes it cloudy. But if you leave the pool alone for awhile it will settle back down to the bottom and the water will be just as clear as what comes from the sink.

Is there a better way to get this out of the pool without empting it?

I think I may have had the wrong sand in the filter when I first connected it. I have since changed the sand and the water clarity is alot better untill the stuff on the bottom is stirred up. Other then that i'm not sure.

I have the Intex Krystal Clear 1,600 Gallon Sand Filter (swg??) the first sand I got just said Pool Sand. So when I changed it I went to the pool supply store and got filter sand #20 silica.. There is no way to hook a vacuum up to the skimer the way I have it hooked up. Which may be a reason there is not a lot of suction there. but with the intex pool not having standard sizes there was not much I could do about it. However it seems to work fine.

not the first time but i did when I changed the sand. I have backwash/rinsed it several times since the new sand as well due to the water was in bad shape when I changed it. I'm not sure how else i can modify it. This pool has the skimmer box on the outside of the pool and on the bottom where the original pump hooked up to is not flat so I can't just hook the new filter/pump lines to it. I had to take the old pump, remove the inside of it (the peice that turned to suck the water in) connect it back to the skimmer. then hook up the new filter to where the old hose went back to the pool. Once I get home I can take pictures of the set up and post them..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is a pic of all the stuff on the bottom of the pool. As you can see the water is nice a clear however once i start useing the vacuum or swim the stuff gets stirred up and makes the water cloudy.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 411
That's not sand it's dead algae, sand is too heavy to cloud up. For example if you had a sand filter that crapped out and shot sand out the return line it would lay in a 3 foot patch in front of the return and no where else

Sounds like you have alot of vacuuming ahead of you along with long filter run times. Good luck. As long as you follow the recommendations here I am sure you will be rid of it in no time. You might want to post up some recent complete water test results. Just in case.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.