Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Going on Vacation

1. Back To Top    #1

Going on Vacation

Will be on vacation for a week. I hate to ask a friend to stop by and check levels,,,what's the best way to keep your pool chemicals in check when you are away?
    Location - Northeast Indiana
    15,000 Gallons (17x29) Above Ground - 1 HP Sta-Rite Pump - Cartridge Filter - Hayward Aqua Bug pool cleaner- Solar Cover
    TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Going on Vacation

How do you normally chlorinate the pool?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

We use liquid chlorine
    15,000 Gallons (17x29) Above Ground - 1 HP Sta-Rite Pump - Cartridge Filter - Hayward Aqua Bug pool cleaner- Solar Cover
    TF100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

If your CYA isn't too high I'd buy a couple of floaters and stick them in there unless you have a tablet chlorinator. Also covering it with a winter cover would help.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

For vacation, I put the FC at shock level the day we leave. Then I throw a few pucks in the automatic chlorinator (you can use a floater if you don't have one) and make sure the timer is set to turn the pump on and off. Some people throw on their cover or solar blanket but I didn't and came home - 10 days later - to a still clean pool.
    AG, 10,400 gallons, filter cartridge, 2HP pump
    Coffeegoddss...bonafide thread killer!
    POOL SCHOOL...fortheloveofgawd, read POOL SCHOOL

6. Back To Top    #6

Great, we have 3" pucks (left overs before TF test kit)... We have never set our pump on a timer, we always pump 24/7. Do most run their pumps less? Would it be best to put the pump on a timer while we are gone?
    TF100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Pump run time is different for everyone. It's trial and error to see how long you need to run your pump to keep the pool clear. Some people run 24/7 and some run between 6 and 12 hours - depending on what works for them. I run ours for a total of 8 hours a day; broken up into different blocks. Running it all at once or broken up, is also a matter of preference.
    AG, 10,400 gallons, filter cartridge, 2HP pump
    Coffeegoddss...bonafide thread killer!
    POOL SCHOOL...fortheloveofgawd, read POOL SCHOOL

8. Back To Top    #8

Cutting back would sure save on electricity,,,any suggestions on a timer?
    TF100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Intermatic makes the best timers. If it's 120 volt pump look at the T101, if it's a 240 volt pump look at the T-104.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Great,,,,,Thanks for all your help
    TF100 Test Kit