Low water flow to one cycle of infloor cleaning system

Jul 5, 2012
We have a 12,000 gal saltwater inground pool with a pool pilot infloor cleaning system. We live in FL and run the system almost year round. The pool is about 5yrs old. I recently noticed that three of the floor jets and the jets on the steps into the pool were not popping up all the way or not at all. I have had to replace 2 or 3 of the pools heads in the past few years, but not the suspect heads. I proceeded to pull up each of the suspect heads and did witness some expected debris, but was very surprised to see adhesive/glue on the bottom of the head of the three floor jets?? I realized then that the water pressure coming through the pipes to these jets was extremely low to almost non-existant. Same on the jets on the steps. As I reflect back, I am not sure if the suspect heads ever worked...I have replaced the Hayward filter to maximize flow, cleaned every head in the pool and even placed a garden hose in the open pipes to clear any possible remaining debris or "adhesive." Nothing cleared the issue. There is still not enough pressure to pop the heads up (new heads by the way).
I am now thinking the flow was never where it should be. What can I do to correct/remedy this?? While my pool installer is still in business, we have had many issues with their service and would like to avoid them if possible!
Any and all replies greatly appreciated!

7510133832_4aa2fb66f4_m.jpg

7510134294_3bc6172664_m.jpg

7510136280_b32d35bb61_m.jpg

7510134568_9baa9bbdf0_m.jpg

Hope these help!!

That's better. It's a little dark in the shade and a little over exposed in the sun but let's see what we can find out.

Looks like it's set to draw water from both the main drain and the skimmer on the pool.
I can't read the label on the 3-way valve closest to the pump. Can you tell me what that says?
It's most likely from the spa.
That filter is small for that size pool. When was the last time you pulled it apart and cleaned it?
The 2-way valve after the SWG is open.
I can't read the label on the 3-way valve past that. Can you tell me what it says?
There's a line to the left of the 3-way valve but it's washed out so I can't tell where it goes.
I suspect it goes to the spa.

I don't see a problem with the valve settings.

Do you see a cover that says QuickClean on it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks like it's set to draw water from both the main drain and the skimmer on the pool.
I can't read the label on the 3-way valve closest to the pump. Can you tell me what that says?
Spa Bottom Suction
It's most likely from the spa.
That filter is small for that size pool. When was the last time you pulled it apart and cleaned it?
Filter is cleaned on a weekly basis and I just put in a brand new one
The 2-way valve after the SWG is open. Yes.
I can't read the label on the 3-way valve past that. Can you tell me what it says?
Floor Cleaning System
There's a line to the left of the 3-way valve but it's washed out so I can't tell where it goes.
I suspect it goes to the spa. no label??

I don't see a problem with the valve settings.

Do you see a cover that says QuickClean on it?
7514253714_3c0d39557d_b.jpg

Have you taken the top off that canister (which is not really a canister) and made sure the gears turn free?

A couple of observations; having the heater plumbed inline all the time without a bypass is causing some head loss and will affect the operation of teh cleaning system. That SWG is also causing some heaad loss. It might be time to take the pump apart and see if there's something in the impeller. You might be able to take the unions apart and look down in the discharge and see if there's anything.

Yes, I have removed the cover of the Quickclean and made sure all the gears are moving smoothly.
Thanks for the other suggestions.
Is it so out-of-the-ordinary that the pressure to "most" of the zones is very strong? When I take out a head in a non-effected zone, the water flows to the surface very strongly. When a head is removed in the two effected zones, I get a few air bubbles and slight water trickle. It just seems to me that based on the pump and the filter, the flow would be similar in all zones unless there was some type of pipe obstruction...? If that is the case, what would be the fix?? and is it fixable??
Thank you so much...I am at my wits end and even more upset with myself because I don't think it ever worked properly and should have been addressed way sooner...

I think you may need to rebuild the quickclean actuator to get a better seal between the active circuit and the others. It cost me about $125 in parts to do mine last year and really improved flow from the active heads. It is a pretty simple project.

The test would be to hold a hand or foot near a good popup and compare the flow as the bad popup comes on vs when the (other) good ones are going.

I don't know about those heads, but mine have a flow adjustment. You pull the heads out and you can set four different orifices. If the heads aren't popping up they may be set for a higher flow. In some of my zones there are more heads than others. In those zones I have set the heads for a lower flow, higher velocity (smaller orifice), to insure that they pop up.

I did observe the one of the six Quickclean pipes does not drain down once the Quickclean system is unclamped and opened up. I am fairly sure it is the pipe that would correspond to the suspect cycle...blocked pipe??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.