Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Coping/ tile repairs

1. Back To Top    #1

Coping/ tile repairs

Good morning everyone! I have some areas of my pool where the tiles have come off and the cement behind them has eroded under the coping. I am having estimates done this week on having this fixed. I have a couple of concerns and questions before I get moving on this project... any opinions would be appreciated!

1. Should I have it all re-done or just have the areas that are damaged repaired? I would say the major damage is in about 1/3 of the pool. I can see that eventually there will be more erosion in other areas as well though.

2. I will have to drain the pool to get this work done. I was wondering when it would be best to have it done, spring or fall?

3. Is draining the pool something that I can do on my own, or should I hire someone for it?

Thank you!
    34K gallon, Hayward S240 sand filter, in ground, gunite... not sure of pump size and flow rate

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Coping/ tile repairs

Bump.
    I'm going through the exact same thing, looking for advice.
    15k gallon IG kidney pool with attached spa
    plaster
    sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Coping/ tile repairs

I got 3 estimates ranging from 1500-2500 for repairs of the damaged areas. All of the masons recommended repairing over replacing. I suppose that depends on how well it was done to begin with, but they will all repoint the damaged areas. I think I will go with the one who said I wont have to drain the pool completely. 34000 gals. is a lot to pay for!
    34K gallon, Hayward S240 sand filter, in ground, gunite... not sure of pump size and flow rate