Fifth of July Haze

Johnny-M

LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2012
Altoona, Pa
Just a quick question and any help or guidance would be appreciated.
Pool has been perfectly clear for over a month.
I checked FC yesterday before party it was 8ppm
Yesterday I had a heavy bather load 25-35 people in the pool. Went to add CL to pool after the party and noticed a haze to the water.
Added CL up to 16.5ppm
Readings this morning around 8:30 were
FC 16ppm
CC 0 ppm
PH 7.5
CYA 45
Borates 30

What could cause the haze if FC has been around 6-8ppm per day.
Should I add clarifier or just let the filter work today. I did add a cup of DE to the filter this morning.
Its not bad, but its not perfect! :?

Keep an extra close eye on your chlorine and run the filter around the clock. That kind of bather load will often create issues with both biologicals and sunscreen etc..

If your party was like our party, then I'd guess it was from your brother-in-laws lighting off mortars into the air, and not listening when you're telling them 90% of the paper, sawdust, and whatever else is in them is landing in the pool area. But if it were just swimmers......let the chlorine do it's thing.

Anybody wana clean out a pool full of fireworks. :(

You took a good preventive measure, but you can't always be sure how your pool will react to bather loads, temperatures, etc. The good news is, with test kit in hand, you can take the steps necessary to remedy the situation.

Putting a higher FC in the pool PRIOR to swimming might have been a little more helpful but that is a really big swimmer load and I think you temporarily overwhelmed the system.

Like other have said, let the chlorine do it's job. :lol:

Chlorine doesn't oxidize every chemical instantly and it doesn't oxidize some chemicals at all so you need to give both the chlorine and the circulation/filtration some time to recover from the heavier bather load. It should get clearer in a day or two. At least now you can appreciate why it is difficult for commercial/public pools to remain clear, though they are supposed to circulate the water more frequently. Having 1 bather per 1000 gallons, as in your case, is heavy bather load. One bather in 1000-5000 gallons is moderate and one bather in 5000 gallons or more is light.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you for the education. I do appreciate it greatly. It naked ne ask what so the public pools so differently to prevent this? Is it different chemicals or just a greater filtration system. If I had to do it again I think I would request a bigger sand filter maybe 600#I and a two speed pump. Not the one they sold me with the pool. Ignorance on my part.

Thank you for the education. I do appreciate it greatly. It naked ne ask what so the public pools so differently to prevent this? Is it different chemicals or just a greater filtration system. If I had to do it again I think I would request a bigger sand filter maybe 600#I and a two speed pump. Not the one they sold me with the pool. Ignorance on my part.

Public pools have larger filters and larger pumps, relative to the size of the pool. They and also tend to use things in addition to chlorine to increase the rate of oxidation of bather waste. They also don't normally have as many people swimming per gallon of water as you did.

After a large pool party it is common for the water to cloud up for about 24 hours.

And if you've been to a heavily used public pool, I wouldn't exactly say the water is crystal clear, at least not in my experience. For those that are, they do the things Jason wrote and possibly use more coagulants (clarifiers) as is done in Europe under DIN 19643 though that's also to help reduce disinfection by-product formation. The dullness is not unhealthy so long as there is still a proper Free Chlorine (FC) reading. It's only a serious issue if it becomes so cloudy that you cannot see the main drain with some clarity since then it becomes a safety issue not being able to see a drowned person at the bottom of the pool.

it has been three days and a little bit of improvement. Pool is not crystal clear like normal. It is "dull" if that makes any sense. I did put some clarifier in and that really didn't do muck. CL has been around 13-16ppm each day since the party PH is 7.5. I guess it needs some more time? No more 75 people pool parties from now on.

I would still keep your FC up at shock level (I get 16ppm for your 45 ppm cya from PC) for a couple days, since your cloudiness is really persisting. I would redo the OCLT just in case.

What is are current TA and CH levels?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.