Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AGP - Drain not attached to liner.

1. Back To Top    #1

AGP - Drain not attached to liner.

I am a new pool owner and have had a heck of a time. I am coming to you for advice after spending multiple days leveling out a section on my hill by tractor, hand, and sand. Putting up a free pool - Taking down a free pool. Buying a new pool and putting it up - Draining a new pool and taking it down.

My mom moved and gave me and the kids her 16x48 (not really) above ground Intex pool. The pool was almost completely setup before realizing it was 18x48. I ended up taking the pool down (I couldn't figure out how to fit 18' into 16')

I ended up going to K-mart for an Intex (16x42) easy set pool. After installing it yesterday, I started filling last-night. I got up around 3:00am to check on the filling and awoke to a major problem.

The drain plug is leaking. The inside plug and the outside cap are both secure. The leak is coming from the fact that the plastic piece on the inside of the pool isn't even fully "attached" to the pool. I am not sure what kind of sealant or bond is used but it doesn't look like part of it received any at all.

My options:

Take the pool back
    Call Intex and see what they tell me
    Try to repair the defect

Is there anything I am missing here? Are there any other options I have? If I decide to repair what type of bond should I use? I would love to use my free pool but digging out my bank more on each side isn't going to happen.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: AGP - Drain not attached to liner.

They normally weld those in place and if it's loose I'd either call Intex and see what they say or just pack it up and take it back. It's probably a lot quicker to just take it back and get a replacement.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mesquite, Texas

Agreed, take it back.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

SW Ohio

take it back
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all