Best Automatic Pool Cleaner w/Booster <$600

Well, I can now throw my $.02 in here...I did get the Letro Platinum. "Just okay" is about how I would describe it. I have sat and watched it roll right over leaves, worms and pine needles and not even pick them up! The line seems to get tangled over the "engine" a lot. I feel like I need to babysit it! I'll keep it for now, but I believe I will go all out and get the Tiger Shark next time. Friends of mine let me use theirs before I got mine and it was a champ! @$900/$1000 so not really in this price range being looked at, but it's a good one from what I could tell.

el duderino, the folks at Polaris keep coming out with ever-more-expensive cleaners. They add more jets, make them different colors, etc. None of them work better than a 280, you just get to spend more money. From talking with some pool service people around here, it seems that the fancier models are more prone to breakage and the parts for them cost more (For example, check the prices of parts for their black version vs. the regular models.) My 280 picks up 2-inch gravel that my kids manage to knock into the pool. :shock: It has all the cleaning power that you need. 8)

I may choose to stick with the 280 then. I thought the Legend Platinum was basically a copy with a few advantages over the Polaris, but from what I've seen here, the consensus is just "okay"

I was not aware that the black 280 parts were more than the normal one. Thanks for pointing that out!

spishex said:
The Mars I can't stand. For one, the customers that have it never empty the thing because you can't see the collection basket. For two, it's very difficult to adjust its path and is very very sensitive to hose and float adjustments.
I have a Mars and LOVE it. It's simple, very few parts and it just plain WORKS! As far as emptying it, when it stops climbing and moving fast it's pretty obvious that it's time to empty the basket! I have found it MUCH less sensitive to float adjustments than other units but hose LENGTH is critical (as it is with just about every other pressure side cleaner out there!)

I have been using "ThepoolCleaner" for a couple years now and it has worked great.
BUT mine is a suction side, not pressure.
So I can't really say other than I have no problems with mine, it stays in the pool pretty much 24x7 (do not close for winter here) and runs daily, every day.

I have The Pool Cleaner now and I previously had the Polaris 280 with a booster in the same pool. I preferred the Polaris. It worked MUCH faster and kept the steps clean too. It also didn't screw up the water flow in my skimmer and other equipment.

I have a 6 year old Letro Legend that still works fine. I have only replaced the float and took apart the back up valve when it stopped working, it worked after doing that. Oh and I have gone through 3 bags so far, My dogs eat them.

waterbear said:
spishex said:
The Mars I can't stand. For one, the customers that have it never empty the thing because you can't see the collection basket. For two, it's very difficult to adjust its path and is very very sensitive to hose and float adjustments.
I have a Mars and LOVE it. It's simple, very few parts and it just plain WORKS! As far as emptying it, when it stops climbing and moving fast it's pretty obvious that it's time to empty the basket! I have found it MUCH less sensitive to float adjustments than other units but hose LENGTH is critical (as it is with just about every other pressure side cleaner out there!)

Very happy with our Mars cleaner. Easier to empty the basket instead of a bag.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just can't beat a 280. It works, parts are cheap, and I can tear it down, clean and rebuild it in about 30 minutes. Mine has been through about 4 rebuilds, looks like Crud and still works.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.