Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I start my converstion with TA of 170

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I start my converstion with TA of 170

I'm ready to roll (day off, etc), got the bleach, read the conversion, etc. Did my chemical test this morning with the K-2006.

FC - neg
    TC - neg
    pH - 7.8
    TA - 170 ppm
    CH - neg
    CA - neg
    "B" - < 9 (reading from pool store couple days ago).

My question is, can I start with the pH somewhat high and the TA high? a I had a low pH and alkalinity this past weekend and added alkalinity and pH up. I guess I over-did it. I really want to get moving today and don't want to wait a few hours to get to the pool store, etc.

Thanks!
    Northeast PA.
    10,500 gallon AGP Vinyl.
    Sand filter.
    Installed 2007.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I start my converstion with TA of 170

What kind of pool surface do you have?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

When I converted at the start of the season, my TA was 210. It didn't seem to cause a problem. When the conversion was done and I was done shocking, I brought the TA down gradually with muratic acid followed by aeration by pointing my return jets up toward the surface of the water. I hope it goes well--it was the best move I ever made with my pool!
    25,000 gal in-ground, vinyl, 1 HP Hayward Max-Flo pump, 250 lb. SwimPro sand filter, Dolphin Diagnostic robot, TF100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

The high TA is not a concern, however you should lower the pH to around 7.2 first. The high chlorine levels will raise the pH until the FC drops below 10 ppm. You could go ahead and start the conversion process and lower the pH using the 7.8 as your starting level before the next chlorine addition. You should make sure to lower the pH today.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the info. I'll start the process and definitely lower the pH today!
    Northeast PA.
    10,500 gallon AGP Vinyl.
    Sand filter.
    Installed 2007.

6. Back To Top    #6

PICTURES!!!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

Re: Can I start my converstion with TA of 170 - updated and

(Sorry, took pics on my phone but having trouble... will work on it).

9 AM - Start. Added 290 oz of 6% bleach. Turned bluish green.
    10 AM. FC 1.6 ppm. Added 280 oz bleach
    10:40 AM FC 1.8 Added 280 oz bleach
    11:45 FC 1.8 Added 270 oz bleach. Also added 1 lb of pH Down (sodium bisulfate). (remember that pH of 7.8) Color pretty much same.
    12:45 FC = 2 Combined Chlorine=5.5 pH=7.0 TA=170

I'm a bit confused. The pH went WAY down and the TA stayed the same. It is hot and sunny today.
    PLUS. I just realized that there will be some major street work (digging, etc) in my neigborhood for weeks. I think they will be on my street by Monday. Now I'm stressing about backwashing and getting this all done. Plus everyone in my house is ticked at me for converting on such a string of hot days.

Ug. I would appreciate any suggestions...
    Northeast PA.
    10,500 gallon AGP Vinyl.
    Sand filter.
    Installed 2007.

8. Back To Top    #8

Can I start my converstion with TA of 170 (Conversion Update

... not sure why I didn't wait till the END of the swim season.
    Northeast PA.
    10,500 gallon AGP Vinyl.
    Sand filter.
    Installed 2007.

9. Back To Top    #9

Re: Can I start my converstion with TA of 170 (Conversion Up

Quote Originally Posted by edward.foote
    ... not sure why I didn't wait till the END of the swim season.
    I assume it because you had an even worse time keeping your pool clean and clear with B?

Good luck and lets hope you can get converted quickly. Good work on getting your FC steady and at the correct levels.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

10. Back To Top    #10

Here is my progress so far.... After each FC measurement I used the calculator to get back up to FC 15. Sorry, still don't have pics but it is a pretty bluish green.
    2:15 pm FC 4.8
    3:15 pm FC 5.0
    4:15 pm FC 6.0
    5:45 pm FC 10.5

I'll check again in an hour or two. I'm wondering if the FC loss during the day was more due to sun than to binding "B"? Also, I'm still wondering (worrying about the pH of 7 and the TA 170).
    Northeast PA.
    10,500 gallon AGP Vinyl.
    Sand filter.
    Installed 2007.

11. Back To Top    #11

I thought all B converters were required to take photos so we can all see the pretty colors...LOL

I hear some of them a pretty interesting pool colors.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100