Low CYA and Very High TA

Nov 19, 2009
Sacramento
My neighbor asked me to test his pool since he sees me out there all the time checking mine. Anyway, we got the following readings:

FC - 0
PH - 8.2
TA - 210
CYA - 25

He said his SWG has the chlorinator running at 100% and his salt level is at 2700, but still no chlorine when he does his tests. The biggest problem I ever had was a high TA, but the other readings he has made me want to post on here since I'm not sure what he should be attacking first. Should he raise the CYA first or lower the TA? We added the required amounts of salt earlier to get it back to around 3300. Thanks for any advice.

First, get the pH down to 7.2 and keep it there until the TA comes down to an acceptable level. Next, get the FC (Free Chlorine) up to about 5 ppm using liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite). Then start raising the CYA (cyanuric acid) once the pool is clear, and passes the overnight chlorine loss test (loss of 1 ppm, or less, overnight). Check the salt cell for scaling and clean as needed.

What is the calcium hardness?

What SWG model does he have, and is it giving any error codes or lights?

pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity

Sorry, I knew there was another reading we took. CH came in at 400. I checked his cell, it's a T-Cell-15, and there was a little white scaling inside, but nothing major. He said no error codes, only the one every few months to inspect it. I also just noticed some small white pieces in his pool, looks almost like tiny bits of paper. He said he's pretty sure it's not paper and he has seen that in there in the past. Not sure if that's relevant though. Thank you.

Ok, an update on where we stand. We got the TA down to 80, pH pretty consistent at 7.4-7.6. Filters were cleaned 2 days ago. Problem now is very cloudy water and the FC level is 2 or less. The filter has been on for the last 48 hours after we brushed, and still cloudy. CYA came in at maybe 10 if he's lucky. Thank you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.