Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cleaning above ground intex pool

1. Back To Top    #1

cleaning above ground intex pool

I did not take my pool down over the winter and my husband thought a good idea to emty pool. Now i need to clean it. there is dirt and leaves dried to the bottom. Any ideas on best way to get the dirt and leaves out to have a nice pool to enjoy the rest of the summer.
    Thanks....Wendy
    I am new here.
    Some say I am funny - some say not.
    My wife laughed at more of my jokes than my exes
    Looking to build pool in my yard - still investigating - looking for all the advice you have.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cleaning above ground intex pool

Use a shop vac and then clean it with a bleach solution.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks i will give that a try. My husband actually brought his shop vac home from work this week.
    I am new here.
    Some say I am funny - some say not.
    My wife laughed at more of my jokes than my exes
    Looking to build pool in my yard - still investigating - looking for all the advice you have.

4. Back To Top    #4

brush and shop vac until it's as clean as you can get it when dry.....then add a bit of water and brush/drain as best you can.

Then fill with water, add chlorine/CYA and enjoy!

5. Back To Top    #5

When we had our 18 ft by 4 foot Intex blow up ring pool we emptied it and would leave it lay on the ground. We live in Missouri so can have some pretty harsh winters. In the spring we would buy a few jugs of bleach and a couple of cheap brooms (we would get ours at the Dollar Tree). Take the hose squirt water on the pool and then add some bleach and scrub with the brooms. The brooms kept us from having to get do all the work on hands and knees (although there were always a few stubborn spots that would need to be scrubbed with a nylon bristle brush). Never took long to clean and we did that for approximately 3 springs before we got our current pool. We didn't have a shop vac and I wasn't interested in investing in one for just this use.
    Above Ground Pool 15' by 30' Older pool -- Make ? Model ? Cost - Free; Given to Us
    Gallons approximately 11,000 (if I figured correctly)
    New liner in 2007 when pool was moved and installed by son-in-law and family members
    Hayward Sand Filter 150 pounds of sand (purchased new in 2007)
    White River 2 horsepower pump (purchased new in 2012)
    Deck built in 2011
    Bioguard 1200V Multi-Test Kit with an additional Orthotolidine Chlorine Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Heck... once you get the dry stuff vacuumed out, and dumped out of the vacuum. Wet the leftovers, scrub with a brush and soap and suck up the muddy water with the shop vac. Lather rinse repeat until clean and then set it up and fill it.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100