New to TFP

Jun 13, 2012
Hi all,
I am a newbie to the TFP forum and this is my third year with my 15ft Intex above ground pool. My children very sensitive public chlorine pools so my wife and I decided to invest in a pool with a saltwater chlorine generator. The past two years I have not been successful in keeping the pool from, well going bad.
So this year I purchased a taylor test kit and a sand filter pump and have been more diligent about testing. I have corrected my Alkalinity and pH levels with baking soda and Muriatic acid respectively. But I have not been able to raise my FC to the ideal level. I suspect I don't have enough salt (pool overflowed while filling and I back wash my new sand filter.) I have about 15 pounds left over that I was going to try. I have read that all pools need a "stabilizer" of some sort, but last year the chemicals I used from the pool store irritated my kids skin and eyes.
I would like to avoid the more harsh chemicals if possible, but didn't know if anyone here has had success with saltwater pools.

Thanks for your help.
--JZ

Welcome to TFP!

You should post a complete set of water test results. Consistently good water quality starts with consistent and reliable test results.

Stabilizer is completely essential, and could not have been responsible for eye irritation. Eye irritation usually comes from high CC levels, or low PH.

You might consider the use of dichlor. It quickly adds both chlorine and stabilizer (CYA). Consider reading this sticky...pool-school/temporary_pool_guide.

FWIW it is extremely rare to find someone with a sanitizer allergy. 99 44/100% of rashes come from undersanitized water (common in public pools) and eye irritation is usually pH being out of range.