Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Day four, how am I doing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Day four, how am I doing?

After some false starts (straps over a couple of top beams were slightly twisted and a pinhole leak), I finally got the pool filled late on July 1st. I am using Triclor tabs in a floater and in the skimmer, but that's all I've done so far.

My current levels based on the Walmart HTH 6-way test kit are in my signature. I know I need a better kit (a better ladder too), but it's what I have right now.

The filter pump is the one that came standard with the pool and has a timer on it. I think I read 1500 gals/hour somewhere. The pool gallons are listed as 5061 for 90% capacity. I think ~5000 is probably a close enough estimate.

The pool calculator confuses me, but I think I need to add some Borax to raise the pH and just keep the triclor going to raise the CYA. I think CYA is probably around 20 or maybe even lower because at 30 the black dot was still visibile, but fading.

So what do you think? Am I on ther right track? I've had other pools over the years, but this is the largest and I don't want to spend more time cleaning and maintaining than swimming.

On a related note, can you buy just the CYA reagent by itself? The kit only came with two tests and I've used one already. I apologize if this is on the forum somewhere already. I'm still reading everything.

TIA!

Lynn
    Tucson, AZ
    Intex Ultra Frame pool, 16' X 48", Intex SWG, Intex 2650 Sand Filter/Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Day four, how am I doing?

pH is fine at 7.2, just don't let it drop lower. You can buy the CYA test from TF testkits.net. It sounds like you are doing ok so far.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!