Easy pH - pH Booster 6 oz.

Jun 28, 2012
Tri cities,TN
Found this on this website..this is the only product I have found that says it will raise Ph but not raise alkalinity as well so thought I would share since I havent seen it mentioned in here anywhere...this would beat lowering both if TA was high then having to try an aerate in order to raise the ph alone.

from the website: [Our Easy pH is the ONLY product available which will increase pH without any significant increase in Total Alkalinity (TA). If you have the perplexing scenario of low spa pH with normal or high TA, this amazing formulation can solve the problem, and protect your valuable equipment from the damage and corrosion that low pH will cause. So innovative, it's been granted a U.S patent.

Product notes: Easy pH has 2.5 times the pH raising power of soda ash (sodium carbonate) so the six ounce package is equal in pH-raising potential to a full pound of pH up, without that product's effect on alkalinity. A little goes a long way in your hot tub! Instructions Included. Shelf life: indefinite - store in a cool, dry location.]

6 oz. Package

http://www.spadepot.com/shop/Easy-pH--- ... 3C634.aspx

Attachments

• ca1051f.jpg
    ca1051f.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 108
You should read more carefully, they said no "significant" TA increase. They did not say no TA increase. Easy PH will raise the TA, just not as much as some of the common alternatives. The TA increase from using Easy PH will exactly cancel out the TA reduction from using muriatic acid to lower the PH, leaving the TA unchanged if you bring the PH back to where it started.

I it read well enough the first time...I didnt think a slight increase in TA deserved repeat mentioning..especially since its clearly written in the info I copied
I disagree..I dont think using easy pH will cancel out the TA reduction from using muriatic acid to lower both pH and TA at all......it may raise it the TA a minuscule or slight amount.. (minuscule and slight) being the key words there ..

I hardly think they would have been awarded a U.S. Patent for not hardly raising the TA if it just simply raises the TA back up again and cancels out the decline returning it to the original state and unchanged as you suggest

I think that Easy pH is most likely sodium hydroxide. The hydroxide ions would combine with the hydrogen ions from the muriatic acid to create water. The net result should be net neutral as far as pH and TA.

Can you post a link to the patent or provide a patent number?

Sodium hydroxide would be my guess also, and the patent would be about how to make it safe enough to handle. They have a number of patents about bonding various things to water soluble polymers, so that whatever is bonded is released when the compound dissolves. I couldn't find one that mentioned sodium hydroxide in particular, but there were a few relating to other alkaline metals.

ok... so when you get the bags... check for the pat.no.(s) easy enough to search for it on the web.
also, since you purchased the product... contact the merchant and request an MSDS.
both of these tidbits will help us identify what the product is.
-wc

Oh... btw... I don't put a lot of stock in pat. no. they are issued for just about anything for any-reason... search thru the pat. office online records, you'll quickly lose any respect for a pat. no. : Pat. No. do not guarantee anything except that the entity holding the patent has first rights to make money from the idea, that it is a noval idea, is not an intrensic natrually occuring concept/product (ie the alphabet or apples (unless GMO) etc...) ... states nothing about effectiveness, safety, etc...

This MSDS for the United Chemical Easy pH Powder doesn't give any clues except that it is an alkaline metal, which would be consistent with sodium hydroxide. However, sodium hydroxide is normally considered to be a hazardous material. It's specific gravity of 3.5 is higher than the 2.13 of solid sodium hydroxide. It does not list any chemical incompatibilities which is also strange. Note the text on this website:

Easy pH® is a patented pH raiser that does not contain carbonates. Other pH raisers, such as Soda Ash and Baking Soda, contain carbonates that raise your pool’s alkalinity. Easy pH®’s gives you the advantage of raising your pH without affecting your alkalinity significantly.
:
Easy pH® is 2.5 times stronger than Soda Ash. This means 6.4 ounces of Easy pH® is equivalent to one pound of Soda Ash in terms of its affect on pH.
Sodium hydroxide is 2.5 times stronger than Soda Ash by weight for the same pH effect so I would say that this is most assuredly sodium hydroxide / caustic soda / lye.

They say that this is patented, so can someone who has this product please look for a patent number on the package and let us know what it is? I can't find an appropriate patent assigned to United Chemical Corp. that would have to do with this product.

Based on the image in this link, it looks like this product is 100% magnesium oxide. In water this becomes magnesium hydroxide that then dissociates so is pretty much equivalent to lye (sodium hydroxide) except you end up with magnesium instead of sodium. That's pretty innocuous and better than adding something like calcium. Magnesium makes the water harder, but only from a reducing foaming point of view. Magnesium scale takes much higher levels of magnesium compared to calcium.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.