Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to pick a new solar cover

1. Back To Top    #1

How to pick a new solar cover

I have a 26' round on-ground pool which is 3 years old. the solar cover that came with it finally fell apart at the end of last season so I am now in search of a new one. The local pool store here where I purchased my pool (New Brunswick, Canada) only carries one kind which is I believe is 8 mil blue/black cover with a life expectancy of 3 years. When I search online there are many options from thickness, longevity, color and shape of bubble - any ideas as to which is best band for my buck. Also is there a preferred site that offers good prices including shipping.

27' round AGP, 2hp 2speed pump & 150sf cartridge filter --taking a stab at BBB and eyeing all the cool gadgets available for pools ;)

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana
    My guess is that clear is the best way to go, followed closely by the blue tinted translucent cover.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3
    Have you looked at those new disks that you can throw into the pool.

1. They store more easily.
    2. Are safer, if someone or something was to fall in.
    3. Look easier to put on and off the pool.
    4. Look like they last longer (as in nearly forever)

I know they cost more. I believe they only provide 80% instead of 100% coverage. But those plastic tarps have to be replaced at least every 3 years. Cleaned annually. Are ugly and take up alot of space. They are an absolute bear to get on and off the pool usually requiring a roller and two grown men.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Thanks for the input - any ideas as to whether it is better to go with a 12mil over the 8mil or is the addition width a waste of money
    27' round AGP, 2hp 2speed pump & 150sf cartridge filter --taking a stab at BBB and eyeing all the cool gadgets available for pools ;)

5. Back To Top    #5

Central New York
    My pool is 20X40 inground and I have a solar cover reel. I go with the 8 mil cause the wife can roll it up herself on the reel.
    It's lighter than the 12 mil but doesn't last as long. I buy one every year and at the end of the year, my neighbor takes it and uses it for his garden. The next year i buy a new one. Works for me.

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

6. Back To Top    #6
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

New Brunswick Canada
    Hey James:

This site might give you some Canadian Options.