New AGP Setup, but Water Appears to be Unbalanced After Test

So I've had (signature) pool setup for about 3-4 weeks now, and I decided to get a OTO test kit at the local pool store.

Based on about 1500 gallons, I've had the SWC set to run for an hour every day.

Yesterday, at 4pm, I tested the water and got 0.5 TC (maybe lower), and my pH was 8.2 (maybe higher).

I switched on the SWC and set it to run for 2 hours. About an hour later, I did the test again, with the exact same results.

The SWC seems to be happy with the salt content (40#'s), and I see the cloudy water that goes by the clear tube when it switches on, so it seems like it is working.

I have put zero chemicals in the water since I opened the pool, as before I found TFP, I was unaware that I needed to do anything else except run the SWC every day.

I have a K-2006 coming, but until then, I'm left with just the basic kit.

Should I first be adding Muraitic acid to lower the pH?

Is it weird that I see almost zero chlorine, but haven't had problems with things growing in the water?

Will start with the bleach first, until the more comprehensive test kit gets here.

So should I be shooting for 4ppm for FC? Since my basic kit only reads TC, can I just assume that since my TC seems to be almost non-existent, that it equals my FC, and go with adding 11oz of bleach that TPC recommends for an FC of 0.5ppm?

Nope, not yet. A friend told me about these pools, and setting them up with the SWCG, but said he didn't do anything to the water. It wasn't until I started reading here that I thought he was probably wrong, then bought a test kit, and confirmed it.

So bleach and the acid to bring the pH down, the cya?

Re: New AGP Setup, but Water Appears to be Unbalanced After

geogecko said:
Nope, not yet. A friend told me about these pools, and setting them up with the SWCG, but said he didn't do anything to the water. It wasn't until I started reading here that I thought he was probably wrong, then bought a test kit, and confirmed it.

So bleach and the acid to bring the pH down, the cya?
Add acid to lower pH first - because bleach works better at a lower pH. Give that half an hour of run time to mix. While that half hour timer is running, measure out your stabilizer (CYA), tie it in an old sock, and tie that so it dangles in front of the return jet. Then add the bleach and let that mix for a while with the pump running. Brushing is always a good idea, it cleans the walls, mixes chemicals, and gets any silt off the floor and into circulation where the filter can grab it.

Ok, added 2oz of Muriatic acid, 17oz bleach, and have a sock of 10oz (volume) hanging in front of the return port.

An hour after I added, I now have pH at 7.2, and chlorine at least 5ppm!

Looks like I'm on my way, waiting for my test kit (FAS-DPD), and I'll post my numbers.

For the CYA, I just assumed 0, and added enough stabilizer to get me to 50, so I'll add more to get to 70 when I do the test.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, wow, these FASDPD kits are awesome! So, I did this testing this evening, around 9:30, when the family had all gotten out of the pool, and before the SWCG had run for the day (I know, I need to get it on a noon schedule).

FC 2
CC 1
pH 7.6
TA 110
CH 140
CYA 40
NaCl 3600

So I probably need to get the chlorine up immediately, and still get more CYA in there. I made the mistake of rinsing the cartridge filter about two hours after the CYA had dissolved, but it looks like most of it is in the water, because I was shooting for 50.

My TA looks a bit high too, what do you use to bring that down?

If a bunch of people just got out of the pool, I wouldn't get too excited about 1 CC. Yes, you need to get some FC in the water, that's what the SWCG is for, right?

CYA should be higher than that for a SWCG.

pH and TA are fine right now. Each time you add acid to lower pH, you also will lower TA a tiny bit. pH will come back up, TA will stay down unless you add more via refilling. TA is the lastthing you play with. Save it until everything else is balanced, your water is sparkling, and you're bored.

Added more CYA, now up to 80ppm.

FC 1.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.6

I'm wondering if just an hour on the SWCG is enough. I already ran it around 4pm, and took these test readings around 10pm. I just turned it back on, but for 2 hours this time. Hoping FC will be up to at least 3ppm in the morning...otherwise, do I need to add bleach?

geogecko said:
Added more CYA, now up to 80ppm.

FC 1.5
CC 0.5
pH 7.6

I'm wondering if just an hour on the SWCG is enough. I already ran it around 4pm, and took these test readings around 10pm. I just turned it back on, but for 2 hours this time. Hoping FC will be up to at least 3ppm in the morning...otherwise, do I need to add bleach?
Is the water clear?

If so, I'd hold off with the bleach - but keep it around for quick responses. It will just confuse things as you try to find the right settings for your SWG.

Thank you. I ran it for 2 hours last night, then this morning had:

FC 4
CC 0.5

So that should be fairly decent, I would think? The water is awesome looking, got in it today after mowing the yard, and it felt amazing.

I let it run another hour or so around noon, and the family is going to go swimming later this afternoon, then I plan on measuring the chlorine early evening, to see where we stand... Think I'm finally getting close! Thanks for the help, Richard.

Decided to do the OCLT just to make sure I am not having an issue. From what I can tell, things look good, so I'm open to what I should do from here, or am I done, except for maintenance?

9:15pm
FC: 5.2ppm
CC: 0.4ppm

5:00am
FC: 4.4ppm
CC: 0.2ppm

So I lost:
FC: 0.8ppm
CC: 0.2ppm

That was without the SWCG running In between testing. Does that look like the water is okay, as far as anything growing in it?

That's technically passing the OCLT but it's so close that being how I am, if it were me, I'd run it once more tonight just to be sure. I'm sure you'll be fine but it never hurts to be sure.

Thanks, Bama, I'm going to give it a try again this weekend, but it seems like now that I got a high cya level in the water, and my FC has been staying around 4-5, that the black/green stuff that I was having to vacuum every two days is gone.

I bought an outdoor digital timer (Honeywell) that will allow me to always have the SWCG run at the same time everyday, even after vacuuming, so hopefully that will help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.