Re: New AGP Setup, but Water Appears to be Unbalanced After

So, I'm puzzled.

FC: 5.5
CC: 0.0
pH: 7.8
TA: 120
CH: 160
CYA: 90

Seems like those are decent numbers, but I'm adding about 4oz of Muriatic (31%) about once a week to keep the pH down. Is it normal for it to keep climbing like that on its own?

A coworker has a very similar setup as me, and lives in the same city. He has the opposite problem, where his pH seems to be below 7.2. He is going to be adding Boric to get his back up.

We both tested our tap water, and it's dead on 7.2 for both of us.

Also, is 90 CYA too high?

geogecko said:
So, I'm puzzled.

FC: 5.5
CC: 0.0
pH: 7.8
TA: 120
CH: 160
CYA: 90

Seems like those are decent numbers, but I'm adding about 4oz of Muriatic (31%) about once a week to keep the pH down. Is it normal for it to keep climbing like that on its own?

A coworker has a very similar setup as me, and lives in the same city. He has the opposite problem, where his pH seems to be below 7.2. He is going to be adding Boric to get his back up.

We both tested our tap water, and it's dead on 7.2 for both of us.

Also, is 90 CYA too high?
That's pretty low MA use, if you ask me! The TA will tend to push pH up. I bet your coworker is using trichlor pucks to chlorinate. They are acidic, which is why his pH is going down. And 90 CYA is too high. For that CYA value, you need to maintain at least 7 FC all the time, even nights, weekends, and holidays!

Coworker has used shock 2-3 times, and originally was using chlorine of some sort. About two weeks ago, he installed a SWCG, but has shocked a couple of times since then...maybe that's it?

I have never shocked.

So 90 isn't too bad of CYA for SWCG?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.